Amazon.com has launched a cloud computing service that will allow customers to run applications faster — dubbed “Amazon ElastiCache” makes it easy to “set up, manage, and scale distributed in-memory cache environments in the cloud.”
Amazon says that “ElastiCache makes it easy to “deploy, operate, and scale an in-memory cache in the cloud.” The service improves the performance of web applications by allowing you to retrieve information from a fast, managed, in-memory caching system, instead of relying entirely on slower disk-based databases.”
Amazon said ElastiCache is geared for “read-heavy workloads” such as social networking, gaming and media sharing sites. ElastiCache is compliant with the widely used memory object caching system Memcached.
“Amazon ElastiCache is protocol-compliant with Memcached, a widely adopted memory object caching system, so code, applications, and popular tools that you use today with existing Memcached environments will work seamlessly with the service,” said Amazon.
Amazon ElastiCache simplifies and offloads the management, monitoring, and operation of in-memory cache environments, enabling you to focus on the differentiating parts of your applications.
“Caching is a core part of so many web applications today, but running your own caching infrastructure is time-consuming and rarely adds differentiated value for your business,” Raju Gulabani, vice president of database services for Amazon Web Services, said in a statement. “Until today, businesses have had little choice but to shoulder this responsibility themselves — and indeed, many AWS customers have built and managed caching solutions on top of AWS for some time. Amazon ElastiCache answers one of the most highly requested functionalities of AWS customers by providing a managed, flexible and resilient caching service in the cloud.”
To use Amazon ElastiCache, you simply:
- Use the AWS Management Console or Amazon ElastiCache APIs to launch a Cache Cluster selecting a Cache Cluster Name, Cache Node Type and Number of Nodes that best meets your needs.
- Connect to your Cache Nodes using your favorite Memcached clients or programming language. Since Amazon ElastiCache is Memcached compatible, your code and most clients should work unmodified.
- Get detailed monitoring statistics of your Cache Nodes for no additional charge via Amazon CloudWatch (you will find these in the Amazon ElasticCache tab of the AWS Management Console).
- If at any point you need additional capacity, you can add more Cache Nodes to your Cache Cluster with a few clicks of the console or a simple API call.
- Pay only for the resources you actually consume, based on your Cache Node hours used.
Video: Turbocharge your apps with Amazon Elasticache
Amazon ElastiCache is currently available in the US East (Virginia) Region. Amazon says that it will be available in other AWS Regions in the coming months.
More Info: Amazon ElastiCache product page.