This post explains the “Advanced Segmentation” feature in Google Analytics that was added in recent upgrade. A segment is a subset of your data, — usually refers to a subset of visitors whose behavior you would like to see and analyze. For instance, usually you are looking at all visits to your site. You may want to analyze only the "Paid Traffic" or "Visits with Conversions" or "Organic traffic" segments and even compare these segments side by side in reports. Advanced Segmentation allows you to isolate and analyze these subsets of your traffic.
With advanced segmentation feature you’ll be able to:
- Compare segments and key performance metrics side by side in reports
- Save the segments you create and apply them whenever you wish to any report
- Create new custom segments easily and say goodbye to RegEx
- Select from predefined custom segments such as "Paid Traffic", "Visits with Conversions"or "New Visits"
- Use an autocomplete function and a drag and drop interface to easily create segments
- Apply a segment to all historical traffic