The jailbreak community posted an untethered jailbreak solution for A5-based iOS devices: iPhone 4S and the iPad 2, running iOS 5.0 or iOS 5.0.1, reports p0sixninja.
The new jailbreak called "Absinthe A5" was assembled by a team of iOS hackers including: Pod2G, P0sixNinja, MuscleNerd, Planetbeing, and Cydia's saurik, and lets iPad 2 and iPhone 4S owners finally jailbreak their device without the need to tether it to a computer upon each reboot.
This jailbreak can be used with both iPhone 4S running iOS 5.0 build 9A334 and iOS 5.0.1 (builds 9A405 and 9A406) and iPad 2 running iOS 5.0.1 build 9A405.
"With an untethered jailbreak, any custom tweaks and tools will survive a reboot of the phone, whereas tethered solutions require the phone to be reconnected to a computer running the jailbreak tool after each reboot."
For now only the Mac version of the Absinthe A5 tool is available for download on the greenp0ison site. But, Windows version is "coming soon".
Watch the video tutorial below that show you how to jailbreak iOS 5.0.1 / 5.0 untethered for iPhone 4S and iPad 2:
- If you're getting "Error establishing a database connection" when launching the jailbreak tool. Just "Go to Settings and enable VPN under Network," tweeted PlanetBeing.
- For anyone whose jailbreak icon is greyed out, shut your computer down, and start it up in safe-mode, Absinthe then worked like a charm and My 4s was jailbroken in 5? minutes. Thumbs up so people can see.
- "For everyone getting "Cannot Open Absinthe Server Stopped Responding": just follow the steps under:
- Close Absinthe in multi tasking tray
- jaibreak again from computer
- after jaribreak is done press HOME. SLIDE and UNLOCK
- "Don't" open Absinthe. Go turn the VPN on
- DO NO CLOSE ERROR. will reboot and cydia will instal :D," explained reklessae86.
- THUMBS UP SO EVERYBODY CAN SEE!!!