Microsoft today launched "Dev Unplugged," a contest that challenges web developers to push the limits of a modern browser without the use of plug-ins.
"We believe that HTML5 and related technologies, in conjunction with faster and faster browsers, finally give developers the tools they need to create experiences that are as vivid, interactive and compelling as anything you have seen in native applications.
As we look around and see the amazing things that people are creating, we decided that two categories really stood out to us: Gaming and Music. So, in the spirit of the earliest days of the PC and choose your adventure games, you get to pick your challenge!" stated Microsoft.
The prizes include:
- $40,000 in total prizes including $9,000 for Grand Prize.
- Front page exposure on theFWA.com and beautyoftheweb.com
- Cool hardware: laptops and slates from Alienware, HP and ASUS
- An all-expense paid trip to the Future of Web Apps Las Vegas with "golden ticket" VIP access
- …and more!
Below are the dates that you should keep an eye on:
- 3/1 – Contest Opens (submit early, don’t miss a chance to get voted-up!)
- 4/5 – Submission gallery opens to the public and voting begins!
- 5/9 – Submission deadline
- 5/12 – Top-40 Finalists are announced
- 5/23 – Winners are announced!