Windows Live team posted incredible stats about Messenger and social features across Windows Live. “Over the following six years, instant messaging services as a category enjoyed explosive, viral growth, ultimately reaching well over half a billion active users sharing hundreds of billions of messages every month. Today, social networking services as a whole drive a similar number of minutes as e-mail or IM. Even though globally, e-mail and IM have basically peaked and leveled off, people continue to spend roughly the same amount of time using them, while social networks have grown to match.”
Messenger users now represent:
- 65% of all Internet users in Brazil
- 48% of all Internet users in Canada
- 48% of all Internet users in Spain
- 47% of all Internet users in France
- 40% of all Internet users in Italy
- 39% of all Internet users in UK
People use Messenger for 163 billion minutes every month, which is about 9.4% of all time consumers spend on the Internet worldwide
- More than 40% of our users sign in each day (more than 130 million daily users)
- Every day, those users share over 1.5 billion conversations and send more than 9 billion messages.
- And at peak times, that drives more than 40 million “simultaneous online connections,” (the number of people signed in at the same time).