An updated official Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware for Samsung Galaxy S3, has been leaked. Those who are inerested can test the firmware right now, and doesn't increase the binary counter nor changes the system state.
Samsung is expected to push the final and stable release of Android 4.2.2 firmware update through OTA or Kies around July/August.
The first build of updated Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean firmware JDQ39-I9300XXUFME3 was first leaked by Sammobile last month, with the latest build JDQ39-I9300XXUFME7 released just few days back has got new enhancement and features found on Galaxy S4.
According to Sammobile, the development of Android 4.2.2 is still under construction. So, this is just a test firmware and not a final release.
Enhancement in the Android 4.22 update are as listed below:
- New S4 Lockscreen: Multiple Widgets, two Unlock effects (Ripple and Light), improved ripple effect, ability to change clock size and set a personal message
- New Screen modes (From S4): Adapt Display and Professional Photo
- Driving mode
- Actionable notifications
- New Additions in Notification Center
- Completely revamped Settings UI (Tabbed interface - Exactly like the S4)
- Addition of Voice controls (Let's you control various parts of the phone using voice commands - Galaxy S4 feature)
- Gallery modes have white background (When changing gallery modes to 3D the background changes to white)
- Full screen Samsung apps
- New S-Voice (from S4)
- New smart switch widget
Here are the steps to flash your existing Galaxy S3 "rooted" or "non-rooted" phone with I9300XXUFME7:
- Android Version: 4.2.2 - JDQ39 (Jelly Bean)
- PDA: I9300XXUFME7
- CSC: I9300OXAFME7
- MODEM: I9300XXUFME7
- Changelist: 702147 (Previous leak - I9300XXUFME3 = 611730)
- Build Date: 21 May 2013
- Region: Open Europe
- Carrier: Unbranded
- Install USB Drivers for Samsung Galaxy S3 to connect with the computer.
- Enable USB Debugging Mode on your phone by pressing Menu>> Settings>> (or, by tapping Apps>> Settings>> ), now scroll down and tap "Developer options." From there, scroll down and tick the "USB Debugging Mode."
- Note: The setp will wipe out all the system data as well as apps data on yout phone. So, take a backup of the device icluding your Contact, SMS, Video, Photos and Settings. Also, note, if your phone is rooted with custom recoveries such as Clockwork Mod (CWM) or Team Work Recovery Procedure (TWRP) will be removed as well and will be replaced by stock recovery.
- Battery should be above 80% charge.
- Device should be factory unlocked and not locked to a particular carrier.
8) Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean leak firmware works only on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300. As flashing this on any other variant might brick the device, verify the model number of the Galaxy device by navigating to Settings>> About phone>> Model number.
Steps to flash Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean on Galaxy S3 GT-I9300:
- Download Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean firmware here.
- Extract the .tar.md5 file from the downloaded firmware on your computer using Winrar/Winzip/7zip /winzip
- Download Odin v3.07 and extract it to get Odin3 v3.07.exe and some other files
- Switch off your Galaxy S3 and wait for five to six seconds for the vibration to confirm complete power off
- Run Odin3 v3.07.exe from the folder you extracted it above.
- Boot the device into Download Mode by pressing and holding together "Home, Volume buttons" and then press the Power button until the Android robot appears on the screen.
Note, if your phone is rooted, pressing the "Home, Volume, and Power" button, display construction Android robot, with a triangle on the phone screen. Now press the Volume up button to continue to enter Download Mode.
- Now, connect your Galaxy S3 to the computer using a USB cable while it is in download mode. In few seconds, Odin detects the device and connect successfully, with the ID: COM box in the upper left corner of Odin will turn either "yellow" or "blue" with the COM port number. And, a successful connection will be indicated by a message "Added" in the Odin.
Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "F.Reset Time" checkboxes are selected in Odin window. But the "Re-Partition" option should remain unchecked (select it only when a .pit file is being used).
- Now, click the PDA button, browse and select I9300XXUFME7 .tar.md5 file.
- Click the Phone button and select file with MODEM in its name
- Click the CSC button and select file with CSC in its name
- Click the PIT button and select the .pit file
Note: Ignore steps (b, c and d) if no-such files exists.
- Click the Start button in Odin to begin the installation process and wait for the installation process is completed. The phone restarts automatically and boots in to your home screen. The Odin in the top left corner of the screen will display a PASS message with green background indicating the successful installation.
- You can now safely unplug the USB cable from the phone.
The Android 4.2.2 XXUFME7 Jelly Bean is now be installed, check it out by navigating to Settings>> About to verify the new firmware.
Note. If your phone stuck at booting animation in the step-9, or experiences bootloop. You should then boot the phone in recovery mode by pressing and holding "Home, Volume Up and Power" buttons together. Once in recovery mode, select Wipe data/factory reset. Now select wipe cache partition (performing wiping task will erase the internal memory data of the device).
After the action is completed, reboot the phone by selecting reboot system now.
While in recovery mode, you can use Volume keys to scroll up & downn and and Home button to select the desired option.
Update 07/30: An official Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean, software update with build number XXEMF6, has recently rolled out to the international version of Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300.
Also, available now is the new official update based on Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean with build XXEMG4 as Over-The-Air (OTA) as well as through Samsung KIES.
The XXEMG4 build is exclusively for Galaxy S3 users from the United Kingdom, and can be installed on any GT-I9300 devices except those which are from China, Hong Kong and Taiwan.
- PDA: I9300XXEMF6
- CSC: I9300ITVEMF1
- Version: Android 4.1.2
- Built date: June 2013
- PDA: I9300XXEMG4
- CSC: I9300OXAEMG4
- Modem: I9300XXEMG4
- Version: Android 4.1.2
- Built date: 16 July, 2013
- Country: United Kingdom
Android 4.1.2 features
- Android 4.1.2-JZO54K
- Multi-view (Multi-Windows Multitasking, same as in Note 2)
- Page Buddy
- New Gallery app (Same as in Note 2)
- Notification panel (Notification Panel can now be customised)
- Brightness slider in Notification Panel can now be disabled
- Smart Rotation (Screen Display adjusts to your angle of sightings)
- Continuous Input in Samsung keyboard (Like Swipe or Android 4.2 keyboard)
- Paper Artist App
- Group Cast App
Steps to update Galaxy S3 I9300 to XXEMG4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean via OTA
- Ensure the phone has stable internet connection (Wi-Fi or data network)
- Power up the Galaxy S3 and go to Android apps drawer, select Settings
- Select About device>> Software update>> Update
- You should see an update is available, press OK to download and install
- phone will now reboot automatically and complete installation
- If you see The latest updates have already been installed then wait for Samsung to release the OTA update
The XXEMG4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean OTA update should have now installed and running on the Galaxy S3.
Steps to update Galaxy S3 I9300 to XXEMG4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean via Samsung KIES
- Ensure that the computer is having stable internet connection
- Download and install Samsung KIES on the computer -- Windows / Mac
- Connect the Galaxy S3 to the computer using USB cable
- Open up Samsung KIES on the computer. Wait for some time until KIES detects the device
- You should see New Firmware Upgrade is available at the home of Samsung KIES
- Press on Firmware Upgrade button to proceed
- Check the box to agree all the T&C about the upgrade and press Start Upgrade to proceed
- Wait download and install to run
- The device should be now running upgrade and reboot automatically. The update is completed now. The Galaxy S3 should now be running on XXEMG4 Android 4.1.2. To verify the new software version of the device, navigate to Settings>> About device>> Android & Baseband version. If the Samsung KIES says This is the latest firmware then users have to wait for Samsung to release the update via KIES.
Those who fail to install the official firmware for being region specific may follow the guide to install the update using Odin.
Steps to Install XXEMF6 / XXEMG4 Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean on Samsung Galaxy S3 GT-I9300