Microsoft revealed "Xbox One", an all-in-one entertainment system, designed to deliver a whole new generation of blockbuster games, television and entertainment in a powerful, all-in-one device.
Alongside, some interesting statistics about the video gaming industry revealed during, a weekly podcast. Aaron Greenberg, chief of staff, Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft, said that "the worldwide gaming spending is around $65 billion dollars! On top of that, there are over 1 billion video gamers worldwide."
""Xbox One," pushes the boundaries of realism, and TV obeys your commands. Say "Xbox On" to launch your personalized Xbox One Home screen, discover what is popular on TV or see friends' latest gaming achievements all using the most natural interface -- your voice. The more you interact with Xbox One, the more it gets to know you and learns what you like," explains Microsoft.
The new Xbox One hardware is sleek at 16:9 aspect ratio and employs a horizontal orientation optimized for its high-speed Blu-ray disc player. It is molded in a deep and rich liquid black color and includes a distinctive beveled edge.
It is packed with eight-core, x86 processor and more than 5 billion transistors, that helps it make lag and load times a thing of the past.
Alongside, Microsoft also redesigned 1080p Kinect, which is more precise, more responsive and more intuitive. And, it works in nearly any lighting condition, recognizes precise motion control from a slight wrist rotation, and distinguishes your voice even in a noisy room using advanced noise isolation.
The new Xbox One Wireless Controller is refreshed with more than 40 technical and design innovations.
It comes with updated directional pad, thumb stick and ergonomic fit, and precision and control have been dramatically increased with all new vibrating impulse triggers.
Features of Xbox One include:
- TV on Xbox One lets you navigate and watch live TV from your cable, telco or satellite set-top box through your Xbox One. Microsoft says it will be bringing live TV through various solutions to all the markets where Xbox One will be available.
- Home. Turn on your entertainment system with two powerful words, "Xbox On," and a custom-tailored Home dashboard welcomes you with your favorite games, TV and entertainment.
- Snap to jump into a multiplayer battle while watching your favorite movie, talk with friends on Skype while watching live TV, or track your fantasy team on TV as you watch the big game and more.
- Skype for Xbox One lets you talk with friends on your TV in stunning HD, or for the first time ever, hold group Skype calls on your TV.
- Trending lets you stay on top of what is hot on TV by discovering the entertainment that is popular among your friends, and see what is trending within the Xbox community.
- OneGuide helps you find your favorite entertainment easily, searching by network, name or time, all with the sound of your voice and presented in a tailored program guide.
Also, unveiled today is a list of games available on Xbox One: "Forza Motorsport 5; Call of Duty: Ghosts; FIFA 14, Madden NFL 25, NBA LIVE 14, EA SPORTS UFC; Quantum Break."
Microsoft also unveiled exclusive content partnerships with some of the top names in TV, sports and entertainment including: "Halo television series; and National Football League (NFL)."
The NFL on Xbox will redefine broadcast experiences through innovations around Skype, Xbox SmartGlass and player-worn technology; add an all-new fantasy football solution for the biggest screen in the house; and create a personalized NFL destination only available on Xbox One.
Microsoft also revealed that Xbox One is built to amplify an all-new generation of Xbox Live, that unleashes the unlimited power of the cloud --allows you "to save and store your personalized profile, games and entertainment in the cloud to access them anytime, from any Xbox One console."
The new Xbox LIVE makes everything more convenient and accessible, from allowing games to be installed in segments so that gameplay can start quickly to updates downloading in the background.
In addition, existing Xbox Live Gold Membership for Xbox 360 will seamlessly carry over to Xbox One. New features of Xbox Live include:
- Smart Match is a new matchmaking system virtually eliminates waiting in lobbies by estimating wait times and finding people you want to play with while you are enjoying other activities -- reputation fundamentally matters and helps find best matches.
- Game DVR captures and accesses your magic moments, all saved to the cloud. Along with sharing tools, you will have the most amazing bragging rights with Xbox Live.
- Living Games Dynamic, living worlds evolve and improve the more you play, and advanced artificial intelligence can learn to play like you, so friends can play against your shadow.
- Expanded achievements system captures video of your epic moments, continues to grow a game's achievements over time and rewards you in new ways, and your Gamerscore carries over from Xbox 360.
- Xbox SmartGlass is natively part of the Xbox One platform, built in from the beginning with the ability to quickly render content directly onto your device, and now more devices can connect at one time for multiplayer and shared entertainment.
Xbox One will launch in markets around the world later this year. Visit this page for Q&A on Xbox One.
Update 05/22: As Marc Whitten explained, "when we first launched Xbox Live more than a decade ago, it was powered by 500 servers. Today, 15,000 servers housed in data centers power the service and later this year, when we begin selling Xbox One, we'll have 300,000 servers delivering the service. That's how you deliver a highly scalable, highly available service to tens of millions of simultaneous users, and provide the kind of split second switching between games, television and entertainment apps."
Here are some videos of about Xbox One and new Xbox LIVE:
Microsoft and the National Football League through a new multi-year partnership will deliver interactive television experiences for the next-generation Xbox One and leverage Microsoft devices include "Surface" and services to evolve the in-game, sideline experience for coaches, players and other personnel.
"The NFL on Xbox will provide fans an all-new viewing experience through innovations around Skype and SmartGlass, an all-new innovative fantasy football solution allowing fans to view players and live competition side-by-side on a single TV screen, and a personalized NFL destination featuring information about the players, teams and games fans care about most. Xbox will also enable fans to use SmartGlass technology to enhance game day," Xbox Wire Editor Lisa Gurry writes.
Microsoft has posted an infographic to prove its data, as you can see in the image below, the data show that the console leads in gaming, while the PC comes in second place. Mobile/tablet gaming is also a factor in the growth of the gaming market.
The live-stream of the Xbox event will take place on May 21st at 1PM Eastern Time, 10AM Pacific Time.
Update 05/23: Microsoft will deliver a new generation Kinect for Windows Sensor and a Software Development Kit (SDK) by next year.
"Both the new Kinect sensor and the new Kinect for Windows sensor are being built on a shared set of technologies. Just as the new Kinect sensor will bring opportunities for revolutionizing gaming and entertainment, the new Kinect for Windows sensor will revolutionize computing experiences. The precision and intuitive responsiveness that the new platform provides will accelerate the development of voice and gesture experiences on computers," Microsoft Kinect team wrote.
Key capabilities of the new Kinect sensor include:
Higher fidelity, will allow developers to create highly accurate solutions that see a person's form better than ever, track objects and environments with greater detail, and understand voice commands in noisier settings than before.
- "new sensor includes a high-definition (HD) color camera as well as a new noise-isolating multi-microphone array that filters ambient sounds to recognize natural speaking voices even in crowded rooms.
- Also included is Microsoft's proprietary Time-of-Flight technology, which measures the time it takes individual photons to rebound off an object or person to create unprecedented accuracy and precision."
Expanded field of view accommodates a multitude of differently sized rooms, minimizing the need to modify existing room configurations and opening up new solution-development opportunities.
"The combination of the new sensor's higher fidelity plus expanded field of view will give businesses the tools they need to create truly untethered, natural computing experiences such as clicker-free presentation scenarios, more dynamic simulation and training solutions, up-close interactions, more fluid gesture recognition for quick interactions on the go," and much more.
Improved skeletal tracking as the new sensor tracks more points on the human body than previously, including the tip of the hand and thumb, and tracks six skeletons at once.
In addition to "skeletal tracking", it opens up a range of new scenarios, including improved "avateering," "the ability to develop enhanced rehabilitation and physical fitness solutions, and the possibility to create new experiences in public spaces--such as retail--where multiple users can participate simultaneously," Microsoft said.
New active infrared (IR) capabilities allow the new sensor to work in nearly any lighting condition and, in essence, give businesses access to a new fourth sensor: audio, depth, color…and now active IR.
"This will offer developers better built-in recognition capabilities in different real-world settings--independent of the lighting conditions--including the sensor's ability to recognize facial features, hand position, and more," micosoft adds.
Update 05/24: Here is what the Xbox One Game case will look like--shown here with Forza Motorsport 5 (via):
Hear the Xbox One Architecture Panel with Larry Hryb:
The U.S. International Trade Commission on May 23 ruled that the P2P wireless system in the Xbox doesn't violate Google patents.
The ITC back in March 2013, upheld a ruling clearing Microsoft of patent violation in the complaing filed by Motorola Mobility (now Google owned) in November 2010, claiming "Xbox's communication system between the console and peripherals violated its patent."
"This is a win for Xbox customers and confirms our view that Google had no grounds to block our products," said David Howard, Microsoft Corporate Vice President and Deputy General Counsel in a prepared statement.
A Google spokesperson stated, "We're disappointed with this decision and are evaluating our options."
A copy of the ruling is available here (pdf).
Update 05/29: Microsoft just revealed that the unveiling of Xbox One, event drove record-breaking viewership--"with over 8.45 million people watching the Xbox Reveal event in the first 24 hours."
"The Xbox Reveal event was among the most watched live broadcasts delivered by Akamai in their history, nearly doubling peak traffic records and eclipsing concurrent viewership high-water marks set by events such as the 2010 World Cup, Royal Wedding in 2011, and 2012 election night," Microsoft wrote.
Nielsen reports that over 1.73 million people tuned into our briefing on SPIKE TV and the Xbox Reveal event was the #1 television show for Men 18-34 at 10 am on May 21.
And, according to Twitter, the event was the #1 non-sports social program across all TV networks and the second most social show on television on May 21, just slightly behind the NBA Playoffs.
Here are the video of the new Kinect sensor:
Also, a Microsoft representative has said that "Kinect for Xbox One" can be turned off. " The Xbox One system can be turned completely off, meaning it won't react to voice commands in it's complete off state," the exec said. Of course, the average user will not use this power state, as having the voice commands would be useful and convenient.
Kinect will also power itself off automatically when it isn't needed, for example when playing a game that doesn't need the Kinect accessory. At diTii, we assume this means "powering off the camera while keeping voice commands open."
Update 05/30: New Xbox One, Kinect and Wireless Controller pictures added:
Update 06/06: More details about Xbox One Controller added below: