Are you still waiting to get Android 4.1 (Jelly Bean) to your Samsung Galaxy S III, the company has not shared anything as to when it plans to upgrade all its Galaxy S3 users to Jelly Bean, But has confirmed today that the "Multi-Window" feature is indeed part of the Galaxy S III Premium Suite update that "it began pushing out a few days back."
According to report, users in "Poland, India, the UK, France, Sweden, Italy, Sri Lanka, Taiwan, and Algeria" have received and installed the update.
The features rolling out to S3 as part of Premium Suite update include:
- "Page Buddy: Your phone will smartly predict what you intend to do according to your actions. For example, when you plug in your earphones, the device automatically opens up a page with the music player.
- Contextual Menu: When you list up apps, you can now choose to see the most frequently used ones first. Especially convenient when you're looking through apps to find files to attach.
- Contextual Tag: When you take a picture on the phone, you can tag the weather, date, and place immediately.
- Multi Window: You can open two different apps at the same time into two different windows on the mobile screen.
- Auto Share Shot Pairing using NFC: By setting the camera to 'Auto Share Shot' mode, you can quickly share your photos and videos by simply tapping their GALAXY S III with other NFC and S-Beam enabled devices
- Reader Mode: You can easily control the size of the text on your browser! Also, you can just click the webpage to share it!
- Facebook Lock Ticker: The easiest way to see your Facebook News Feeds - set your phone to show it on your lock screen," informs Samsung.
- Paper Artist: You can make a picture like a pop artist! Change the moods of your pictures whenever you want!
- Camera, Low Light Shot helps you taking pictures in dark places.
- Camera, Best Face takes 5 consecutive pictures and lets you choose the best face for each person among those shots.
- Easy Mode function helps you set up the most five frequently used widgets on the home screen, so you don't have to be tired of looking everywhere to find those apps.
- Sound Balance: You can adjust the balance of volume one each side of earphones.
- Setup Wizard: See the accessibility menu right away on the screen.
- Camera Easy Snap: With 'talk back' and 'face detection' on your settings menu, the GALAXY S III tells you how many faces it can detect on the camera preview.
Watch the video below showing off the Multi-Window and other features:
Just in case, you are still waiting to gets hands-on Jelly Bean, a new "official" updated "XXELKC Jellybean 4.1.2" firmware for Samsung Galaxy S3 GT I9300, and bring the following features:
- Multi-View (Multi-Windows Multitasking as in Note II)
- Based on Android 4.1.2 JZO54K
- Customizable Notification Panel for enhanced viewing experience
- Brightness Slider is not a part of notification panel
- Smart rotation feature
- Android 4.2 Keyboard comes pre-loaded
- Page buddy, Paper Artist app and Group Cast apps are pre-loaded
- Samsung Galaxy Note 2 Gallery
- New Gallery application (the same as in Note II)
- Continuous text input as Swype or Android 4.2
Android Version: 4.1.2 - Build JZO54K
Build date: 3/12/2012
Here are the steps to manually update your Samsung GT Galaxy S III:
- SMS - Use "SMS Backup & Restore app",
Contacts - Sync with the Gmail application,
Call Log - Call Log and Restore
Images, Songs, Videos, Files - Copy to internal / External SD Card,
APN and MMS Settings - Note down from the path "Applications > Settings > Wireless and Network > Mobile Networks > Access Point Names"
From the path "Settings > Applications > Development > USB debugging", enable the USB Debugging and make sure to have minimum 40% battery available.
- Download Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean (XXELKC) and Odin on your computer.
- Then, connect your Galaxy S3 to your PC via the USB cable and copy the zip files in your Galaxy S3.
- Next, unplug the device from USB and turn it off in order to start it in the download mode. To enter in to the download mode, press and hold the Volume rocker key and simultaneously press power button. If done well, you should see a green robot, which will tell you entered Download Mode. Else, you need to retry the process.
- Once in download mode, connect the device to your computer using the original USB cable. There you will see that the section ID: COM is illuminated with Yellow color indicating that all the drivers are successfully installed.
Note: If ID : COM section doesn't turn Yellow, you need to check with two things which are mentioned below:
Install the USB Drivers in your computer;
Go to the Path "Settings > Wireless & Network > USB Settings" and ensure that "Samsung KIES" option is ticked before connecting the phone to the computer.
- Then on the PDA select the firmware XXELKC you downloaded in step 1 and click on "Start" to start the update process. Make sure that Re-Partition is NOT checked. As soon as the update is applied successfully, you will see that the device will be rebooted.
Note that it may take more than 5 -6 minutes for applying the update and to reboot since it has to finalize all the app data etc. Once the device shows up the home screen, navigate to "Settings > About Phone" the current firmware version will be mentioned as Jellybean 4.1.2.
Note: If the device gets into the boot loop sequence or say gets stuck in the welcome screen, just re insert the battery and re follow the above instructions so as to again follow the above mentioned instructions.
- Once the firmware has been successfully updated, you should get a green PASS on ODIN. Then disconnect the USB cable and turn off the device to start it in Recovery Mode. To do this you must press the Volume Up + Home button, and while holding both simultaneously press the power button.
- In recovery mode, select Wipe data / factory reset and Wipe Cache partition and then reboot your phone by selecting Reboot system now with the help of the volume keys to scroll.
- Done! enjoy official firmware XXELKC Android Jelly Bean 4.1.2 on your Samsung Galaxy S3 (i9300)!
Update 12/10: Samsung just released a short teaser on YouTube for January 8-11 2013, International CES in Las Vegas, promising to unveal a new product presumably Samsung Galaxy S IV.
"The world awaits" the video says at the beginning before quickly flashing up words like "Innovation", "Ideas", "Design", "Technology", "Dreams", "Wonder", and "Future".