Microsoft Windows 8 that was generally made available last month, comes with mainstream support until January 9, 2018. Microsoft has added Windows 8 and Windows RT to its product lifecycle search, and announced that "mainstream support for Windows 8 end on January 9, 2018, while extended support will be provided until January 10, 2023."
For those not aware, "Windows product lifecycle is divided into mainstream support and extended support. Mainstream support is the first phase of the product support lifecycle. It covers both security and non-security updates for the operating system, as well as complimentary support that is included with the license and paid support. The extended support phase provides users of the operating system with security updates, and paid support is available as well."
Below is a list of Windows operating systems and their mainstream and extended support end dates:
- "Windows XP: Mainstream support ended, Extended support end date: 8.4.2014
- Windows Vista: Mainstream support ended, Extended support end date: 11.4.2017
- Windows 7: Mainstream support end date 13.1.2015, Extended support end date: 14.1.2020
- Windows 8: Mainstream support end date 9.1.2018, Extended support end date 10.1.2023
- Windows RT: Not yet communicated
- Surface with Windows RT: Mainstream support end date 11.4.2017, Extended support end date: not applicable as it is a consumer device," informs Microsoft.
It is interesting to note that Microsoft will support its Surface tablets until April 11, 2017.
Microsoft has yet to communicate the Windows RT end of support dates, and whether it wishes to offer extended support for this version as well. It's also not really clear why the dates have not yet been communicated. However, what's almost certain is that it won't end before the Surface's lifecycle ends.
"Office Home and Student 2013 RT has the same lifecycle policy as Windows RT," Microsoft says via its official support forums.
|Products Released||Lifecycle Start Date||Mainstream Support End Date||Extended Support End Date|
|2.||Windows 8 Enterprise||10/30/2012||1/9/2018||1/10/2023|
|3.||Windows 8 Enterprise N||10/30/2012||1/9/2018||1/10/2023|
|4.||Windows 8 N||10/30/2012||1/9/2018||1/10/2023|
|5.||Windows 8 Pro||10/30/2012||1/9/2018||1/10/2023|
|6.||Windows 8 Pro N||10/30/2012||1/9/2018||1/10/2023|