Comments and Discussions for Google Drive Apps are now available through the Drive API.
"Using the new comments and replies resources together with a simple anchoring scheme to nail down the location of comments in your document, you can provide discussion threads much like the ones found in Google Docs," google wrote.
New commenting model has two layers:
- "A comment starts a discussion thread. It is anchored to some location in the file -- for instance, a line or lines in a text document, or a rectangular area in an image file.
- A reply is (as you might guess) a reply to a comment. Replies are tied to the status of the parent comment, so that deleting a comment also means deleting all of its replies."
For a great example of commenting best practices, "you won't need to look any further than the Google docs in your Drive. The features you see in our own implementation -- highlighted anchoring, UI options to reply, resolve, edit and delete -- are all available for you to add to your own app," google added.
Check out this page for detailed Managing Comment and Discussions in the Drive SDK.
Google also shared some tips for businesses to use Google Drive to create and edit the documents:
- "To create a new document in Google Drive, simply hit the 'Create' button to choose which type of file you'd like.
- To collaborate on your business's existing documents like Word, Excel, and PowerPoint files, you can upload them to Google Drive for easy editing and sharing.
- Use a template to create the specific types of documents your business may need, such as letterheads, sales presentations, inventory trackers, or customer feedback forms. Browse the template gallery to find examples best suited for your business.
- Make your presentations more compelling by embedding YouTube videos into your slides. You can play the video from directly within the file as long as you have an internet connection.
- View the revision history of your document, spreadsheet, or presentation to see the changes made by you and any other collaborators. You can also revert to earlier versions of a file and see edits made to any of these versions.
- Use other apps in Drive, such as Forms, Drawings, and Fusion Tables. You can also download third-party apps from the Chrome Web Store that allow you edit images and videos, fax and sign documents, manage products, create flow charts, and more," google blogged.