Windows Live team is merging its instant-messaging client Live Messenger with Skype -- "Millions of Messenger users will be able to reach their Messenger friends on Skype. Now Messenger, neet to just sign into Skype using a Microsoft account, and their Messenger contacts will be there," informs Skype.
The blog notes, "this effort was started with the release of Skype 6.0 for Mac and Windows a few weeks ago, which allows to sign into Skype using a Microsoft account."
With this inline, "all Messenger users need to update to Skype, as in the first quarter of 2013, the Messenger apps will retire in all countries worldwide (with the exception of mainland China where Messenger will continue to be available)," the Skype blog stated.
"We will enable Skype to work better with Outlook.com than Messenger ever has too," Microsoft said.
By updating to Skype, Messenger users can instant message and video call their Messenger friends, here are some of the other great features Messenger users can expect:
- "Broader device support for all platforms, including iPad and Android tablets
- Instant messaging, video calling, and calling landlines and mobiles all in one place
- Sharing screens
- Video calling on mobile phones
- Video calling with Facebook friends
- Group video calling," Skype informs.
And, here're a few differences between Messenger and Skype client features and capabilities: "Groups created in Messenger will need to be recreated in Skype; File sharing capability does not work across Messenger and Skype sessions; and New buddies created in Skype will not show up in Messenger or OWA."
And, a reminder to those Live@edu institutions of the pending upgrade to Office 365.
Here is what Messenger users need to do to update to Skype:
- "Download the latest version of Skype.
- On the sign in screen, select the option to sign in with your Microsoft account. You will be asked if you are already using Skype or are a new user.
- If you use Skype and Messenger already, you can merge your Skype and Messenger account into your Microsoft account.
- When you complete the installation process you will be welcomed into Skype with your buddy list already synced into your Skype contact list.
- That's it! start instant messaging on Skype right away!"
Pictures of the above steps: