Microsoft kicks off global Windows 8 launch celebrations with China, where the company has launched Windows 8 and gave a sneak peeok at new hardware and apps at Shanghai's 1933 Grand Theatre.
Windows 8 offers a beautiful, new user interface and a wide range of apps with the grand opening of the Windows Store on Oct. 26.
On display were 52 new devices, designed and optimized for Windows 8 by 15 Microsoft OEM partners. All these devices and more, pre-installed with Windows 8, will be available in China starting Oct. 26.
Microsoft also showed Microsoft Surface with Windows RT, in China, following the announcement of its availability in China on Oct. 16.
"Microsoft has a more than 20-year history in the Greater China Region, and we are excited to start our Windows 8 launch series in Shanghai, China, the largest PC market in the world," Ralph Haupter, cvp of Microsoft and CEO of Microsoft Greater China Region, said.
"Windows 8 ushers in a new era with amazing experiences for Chinese consumers and commercial customers and creates new opportunities for Microsoft partners," he said.
The new Microsoft Online Store will provide an easy access for a broad range of Microsoft products to Chinese consumers.
In other Windows 8 news, Microsoft press offering a free ebook: Introducing Windows 8: An Overview for IT Professionals (Preview Edition).
"The Windows 8 operating system is the newest member of the Microsoft Windows family. It differs from earlier Windows releases as much for what it does not change as for what it does change. That is, the features that IT pros loved about Windows 7 are still there in Windows 8--just better. The same keyboard shortcuts, management tools, security features, and deployment options are available in Windows 8. But in many cases, Windows 8 improves them in intuitive and significant ways. Some examples are the ribbon in File Explorer and faster disk encryption when using BitLocker Drive Encryption. This book describes these enhancements plus many of the new features in Windows 8," Microsoft stated.
You can download "Introducing Windows 8: An Overview for IT Professionals - PDF ebook" here.
Also, available now is newly released FREE Microsoft eBook: Deployment Guide for Microsoft Office 2013 from the Microsoft Office System and Servers Team and is available in Microsoft Word (.doc), .epub, .mobi, and .pdf file formats.
You can download it here (PDF).
Table of contents:
- Getting help
- Volume activation of Office 2013
- Plan volume activation of Office 2013
- Volume activation methods in Office 2013
- Deploy volume activation of Office 2013
- Use tools to configure client computers in Office 2013
- Customize installations of Office 2013
- Customize Setup before installing Office 2013
- Configure a silent installation of Office 2013
- Create custom configurations of Office 2013
- Office Customization Tool (OCT) in Office 2013
- Config.xml file in Office 2013
- Setup command-line options for Office 2013
- Setup properties in Office 2013
- Setup architecture overview for Office 2013
- Customize the Accessibility Checker for Office 2013
- Outlook 2013
- Planning overview for Outlook 2013
- Choose between Cached Exchange Mode and Online Mode for Outlook 2013
- Plan a Cached Exchange Mode deployment in Outlook 2013
- Plan feature customizations in Outlook 2013
- Choose security and protection settings for Outlook 2013
- Configure multiple Exchange accounts for Outlook 2013
- Configure Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook 2013
- Configure Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2013
- Configure junk email settings in Outlook 2013
- Roll out Office 2013
- Install Office 2013 from the local installation source
- Deploy Office 2013 from a network installation point
- Deploy Office 2013 by using Group Policy computer startup scripts
- Language in Office 2013
- Plan for multi-language deployment of Office 2013
- Customize language setup and settings for Office 2013
- Add or remove language packs after deployment of Office 2013
- Mixed language versions of Office 2013
- Companion proofing languages for Office 2013
- Language identifiers and OptionState Id values in Office 2013
- Security in Office 2013
- Security overview for Office 2013
- Authentication in Office 2013
- Plan for Information Rights Management in Office 2013
- Group Policy for Office 2013
- Planning for Group Policy in Office 2013