Xbox Music, Microsoft's new all-in-one music service, begins to rolling out and is specially designed to let users listen to music in exactly the way they want. "Xbox Music launches with a global catalog on par with iTunes, offering 30 million tracks from some of the leading music labels around the world," Microsoft announced.
The Xbox Music service will be available to millions of people around the world starting on October 16 on the Xbox 360 (as part of the 2012 console update), and then to the masses with Windows 8 and Windows RT PCs and tablets (in 15 markets worldwide) on Oct. 26 General Availability.
It will also available on mobile phones, starting with Windows Phone 8 (in 22 markets worldwide) at launch and additional platforms later.nd Windows RT PCs and tablets and on mobile phones, starting with Windows Phone 8 at launch and additional platforms later.
The Xbox Music app will even eventually be available on platforms such as Android and iOS as well.
Microsoft says, Xbox Music will become available on other platforms -- as they'll continue introducing Xbox Music in new regions around the world throughout the coming year.
"On TV, Xbox Music is streaming only and requires an Xbox 360 console and additional subscriptions (each sold separately). Some Xbox Music content may not be available via Xbox Music Pass, and may vary over time and by region," Microsoft stated.
The all-in-one Xbox Music service includes the following:
- Free on-demand streaming music on Windows 8 and Windows RT.
- Xbox Music Pass offers ad-free, unlimited playback of any track in subscription catalog across your tablet, PC, phone and Xbox 360 for US$9.99 per month.2 Xbox Music Pass also unlocks unlimited access to tens of thousands of music videos on your Xbox 360.
- Xbox Music Store - a comprehensive MP3 marketplace giving you the opportunity to purchase a single track or entire album on your Windows 8 or Windows RT tablet or PC and Windows Phone 8.
- Smart DJ, a quick and dynamic way to personalize your collection, discover new favorites and create ultimate playlists by launching instant mixes based on your favorite artists. With unlimited skips and a view of the full recommended music stream, Smart DJ puts you in control of your Internet radio experience.
- Cloud Storage is a scan-and-match feature that will take you beyond the 30 million tracks globally offered through Xbox Music. "It will add all the music you own to your Xbox Music cloud catalog, including music acquired through other services. This means you can add almost any content you have to your personal Xbox Music collection, even if it's not available in the Xbox Music catalog," Microsoft informs. It will be available in the coming year.
- Social Music. Unique social features will be added to Xbox Music in the coming year to let you share your music experiences with friends and family.