WebMatrix is a lightweight web development tool that lets you quickly install and publish popular open source applications or built-in templates. The version 2 of WebMatrix just shipped with the integration with Windows Azure.
WebMatrix bundles a web server, database engines, top programming languages and publishing capabilities into one tool - whether you use ASP.NET, PHP, Node.js or HTML5.
On download, WebMatrix analyzes the site and will automatically install any dependencies needed. Also the V2 comes with simplified process of publishing a local site from WebMatrix. "If you already have a website, you can click "Import publish profile". If you don't, you can click "Get started with Windows Azure" and go through the sign-up process," the Windows Azure team says.
If you are already using Windows Azure Web Sites, you can simply click the WebMatrix button in your dashboard or you can install WebMatrix from here.
Here are a few of the top features in V2:
- "Extensibility model lets you write your own plug-ins or use community-built ones
- Extremely fast install of open source apps such as Joomla!, WordPress, Drupal, DotNetNuke and Umbraco
- New built-in templates for PHP, Node.js and HTML5, and mobile support for all templates
- Intellisense (code completion) for major languages, including Razor, C#, VB, PHP, Node.js, HTML5, CSS3 and Jquery
- Application-specific code completion for top apps like Umbraco, WordPress and Joomla!
- Simple UI to install what you need from thousands of NuGet packages
- Ability to preview your site using top mobile emulators
- Remote view to make quick edits to files on live sites," Azure team informs.
And, to learn more about WebMatrix, visit www.webmatrix.com.