Windows Phone 7.5 users started getting Windows Phone Tango Build 8773 update, starting last week, with Nokia announced the update. User who have received the update reporting a few under-the-hood changes as listed below:
In addition to list below, Tango also fixes the "Internet Sharing bug" which sometimes causes normal WiFi to stop working, then forces users onto cell data unknowingly. "This only occurs if you've enabled internet sharing at some point on the device."
- New wallpapers - Microsoft is now including new "nature" themed wallpapers in the Tango ROM
- Faster numeric PIN response: Previously, when you attempt to unlock PIN on your phone it would sometimes be very slow and not register, requiring you to re-enter the number. Now, this is fixed.
- Send ringtone via MMS: Microsoft now allows you to attach and send ringtones to others via MMS. You can only send custom ringtones though and nothing that is "in ROM". This in addition to the new "send voice note" and attach multiple images in an MMS that's found in Tango too.
- Letter indexing: On WP7.x after a user installs 45 apps, the app list will automatically index and gives you the "letter picker" to jump to find favorite app. But, if you goes down the 45 app mark, the "letter picker" would not disappear. This is now fixed.
- More reliable & better notifications in both Tile and Toast, with the Tango update.
- Static IP for WiFi: You can reportedly enable it via a registry hack.
- Location icon - This actually not a part of Tango (8773), but is part of 8779+, so don't look for it or expect it
- Export contacts to SIM: Not available though you can enable it via a registry hack, assuming you have a routed device.
Microsoft during the Windows Phone 8 unveiling announed that current Winows Phone 7.5 devices would not be able to upgrade to WP8 -- and that, instead, all those WP devices would get "Windows Phone 7.8," that offers new Live Tiles sizes and Start Screen.
However, according to a Microsoft's TechEd Eruope 2012 presentation, there will be more than just a new Start screen coming to WP7.8.
During the presentation, which concerned Windows Phone app development, Senior Product Manager and Windows Phone team member Larry Lieberman takes some questions from the audience, including a question of about WP7.8:
"Will Windows Phone 7.8 get new features as well that you can access as a developer? Maybe. We haven't announced it yet."
"All we've announced is the new Start screen at this point. Sorry, nothing new to announce. You're asking me stuff I can't answer," WMPowerUser quoted Lieberman as saying.
Below is the video of the Lieberman's "Windows Phone: Build Apps and Games for Windows Phone 7.5," presentation:
And, then another Windows Phone Senior Product Manager, Ben Lower, responding to a question for "wallet and Skype integration as a customer and Speech APIs for my translate app as a developer)" said in a tweet:
@kazarindn remember, the only thing we said today about 7.8 is new start screen.there will be more.also check out Hawaii Services now-- Ben Lower (@benlower) June 20, 2012
And, if you ever faced a bug in Windows Phone, that silently disables all of your background tasks, leaving them in a state where the phone's settings screen believes they're all still active. Here is a fix:
- Open your phone's setting screen and chose "background tasks"
- Tap on each of the apps which report that tasks are "on", and tap the "turn off" button
- You should have all of the apps on your phone now with background tasks off
- Now tap through each one that you want enabled, and tap the checkbox allowing them to be re-enabled
- Go back to start and launch each of the apps, allowing a couple of seconds for them to register their tasks
Here is the visual representation of the aforementioned stesp: