Surface Garage is back to share the Photos App -- a sample application with reusable sample controls for use with the Microsoft Surface 2.0 Software Development Kit (SDK).
"Surface Garage is a community of Microsoft employees that are passionate about Microsoft Surface, Samsung SUR40, computer vision, and natural user interface (NUI) technologies."
"To intall this sample applications, copy the .zip file contents to a folder that all users will have access to (e.g.: C:\SurfaceApps\). Right-click on the PhotosApp\Release\PhotosApp.xml file and Create Shortcut. Copy that shortcut file to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Surface\Programs\ and then use the Surface Configuration Utility to add the application to Launcher," explains the Suface team.
To use removable USB media with Photos App. "All you've to do is create a directory on the USB drive called \PhotosApp\Content\ and put your photos in there. Launch the Photos Apps and insert the removable USB drive into your Samsung SUR40.""The photos will replace the existing contents of the Photos Apps directory and will persist until another removable USB device with new content is inserted and copied over. If you want to disable the ability to copy photos from removable media change the content in the application directory on the hard drive \PhotosApp\Content\ to read-only. This will prevent the file system from overwriting the original files with new pictures and effectively block users from sharing their photos on the device," explains Surface team.
This sample application includes several reusable sample controlsthat developers can use to make their own applications even better:
- Dockable ScatterView | Flick content to the side of the screen for later, have it intelligently organize itself
- Just-in-time Chrome | Touch a piece of content to display information about it, let the text fade away when done
- Background file copy | Move files from removable media to the device
- Background removable media monitoring | Let your app know when new content is available
- Background loading of pictures into ScatterViews | Take content from removable media and import into Microsoft Surface ScatterView content containers
You can download Photos App by Surface Garage here.