Google Authorship, that gives authors to claim ownership over their content and more visibility in google search has until now required a lot of steps to integrate website with Google+ page.
"Authorship feature gives you the ability to claim your post and blog content as your own. When you link your website to your Google+ page, in the google search results, your image and author name will appear as a byline to your content, making your blog stand out. For example: when users search for your brand, an excerpt from a recent Google+ post may appear to the right of search results," Google explains.
To make the integration easier for web authors, Google just announced an improvement that makes the linking process a lot easier for page owners.
"In fact: you can complete the process in just a few simple steps," Google's Dennis Troper said in a Google+ post.
Troper notes, if the set up correctly, users will then see a confirmation message. Then, within a day or two, "the link between your website and your Google+ page will be active, and a check icon will appear next to your URL on your profile."
The following steps will work for WordPress users, and other Website owners as well:
- 1) Visit your Google+ page, open its profile, and click 'Edit profile'
- On the About tab, save your website URL, then click the new button, 'Link website'
- Follow the instructions for adding a short line of code to your website's homepage, then click 'Test website'
For Typepad user, the company, the company notes, that they it is working with Google to make the authentication process easier for Typepad users. In order to enable the Google Authorship feature, Typepad outlined the steps for its user, see below:
- Have a Google+ Profile
- List your Typepad Profile in your Google+ Profile
- Click the profile icon, then select Edit Profile
- Edit the Other Profiles section to add your Typepad Profile URL (e.g. http://profile.typepad.com/username)
- Edit the Contributor To section to add your blog URL (e.g.
- Have an appropriate headshot on your Google+ Profile
- Hover mouse over avatar area in Profile, then click "change profile photo"
- Uploaded image must be at least 250px square
- Add your Google+ Profile to your Other Accounts list in Typepad
- Account > Other Accounts (you will only need to add the 21-digit ID from your Google+ Profile URL; do not add the full URL)
- Add the Author Name attribute to your blog's Post Footer
- In basic templates, go to Design > Content > Post Footer.
- In advanced templates, locate the entry footer module code in the Main Index, DateBased, Category, and Individual Archive templates and the following code inside of it:
<$mttrans phrase="Posted by [_1] at" param="MTEntryAuthorNickname"$>
Replace that with:
Posted by <a rel="author" href="<$MTEntryAuthorProfileURL$>"><$mtentryauthornickname$></a>
Save your changes.