At CTIA Wireless 2012, Nokia announces new apps for Nokia Lumia. "With Nokia Lumia smartphones now available in 48 markets, developers are rapidly recognizing the business opportunities and creating their best work for our consumers," said Marco Argenti, SVP, Nokia Developer Experience.
"With more than 80,000 apps now available in Windows Phone Marketplace, search and discovery features such as 'App Highlights' and 'Nokia Collection' curate the best, most relevant apps for Nokia Lumia consumers," Nokia said.
New partnerships and app updates are announced in the Sport; Finance; Games, Productivity; News; Lifestyle; and Entertainment categories include:
- The PGA Tour app - exclusive to Nokia Lumia for 12 months from launch will be available beginning in late June 2012. The new app provides fans with a groundbreaking way to follow PGA TOUR tournaments. In addition to live tournament scoring, highlights and player information, the app provides interactive, augmented coverage of select events and holes, showing each player's exact position and scoring information. This allows fans to "get inside the ropes" and follow all players competing on the PGA TOUR. The PGA TOUR averages over 1 million monthly mobile users across all platforms.
- ESPN - exclusive to Nokia Lumia until May 2013 will deliver a number of key updates in coming months, including sports scores on Live Tiles, team-level panoramas, personalization of scores, leagues and teams, and additional sports coverage such as Tennis, NASCAR and the 2012 Olympics. Additionally, a Windows Phone version of the ESPN Fantasy Football app will launch exclusively on Nokia Lumia smartphones this coming Fall.
- Rovio - titles starting with Angry Birds Space join the original Angry Birds game in coming to Nokia Lumia and Windows Phone consumers. Rovio is building a dedicated design and development team to create games for Nokia Lumia smartphones and the wider Windows Phone ecosystem, with the goal of developing and publishing all future Rovio titles as soon as possible.
- Electronic Arts (EA) bringing leading game titles to Nokia Lumia and Windows Phone consumers including FIFA, Madden NFL, NBA Jam, Tiger Woods PGA TOUR®, Mirror's Edge and Yahtzee. These games join titles such as Need for Speed(TM) Undercover, Need for Speed(TM) Hot Pursuit, The Sims(TM) 3, Spider Jack, and MONOPOLY which are already available in Windows Phone Marketplace.
- Groupon - Exclusive to Nokia Lumia for 6 months from launch during Summer 2012, will include a newly developed augmented reality deal discovery function to combine map and Points-of-Interest (POI) data with what is seen via the camera's viewfinder, enabling users to see virtual Groupon deals, in real-time, nearby.
- Tripdots - Exclusive to Windows Phone customers for 3 months from launch helps vehicle owners optimize their driving behaviors while connecting with other vehicle owners and sharing driving efficiency achievements via social networks. The app lets users monitor the operation of their vehicles to enable cost savings through better understanding fuel economy. Everyone can participate in the MPG Leader Board game, and information is only sent to drivers after their trip is complete.
- PayPal app for Windows Phone will leverage the power of Windows Phone Live Tiles to create a compelling user experience that provides users with the flexibility to pay on-the-go.
- AOL Entertainment Hub - exclusive to Nokia Lumia for 6 months- Whether you want to listen to one of 55,000 radio stations via SHOUTcast, stream free music albums with AOL's Listening Party or view Trailers and Movie listings, the AOL Entertainment Hub delivers everything you need.
- Time Magazine app for Windows Phone will enable users to view TIME.com content, receive breaking news alerts, watch rich media content including video and share stories via the Windows Phone People Hub, while delivering the latest news and stories to users first via Live Tiles.
- Newsweek - The Daily Beast app for Windows Phone delivers the latest content through Live Tiles and combines the unique style of The Daily Beast with the Windows Phone UI to deliver a stunning experience. For users who only have minutes to digest the latest news, the app also delivers The Cheat Sheet - your one stop must have reads from across the world - uniquely designed for Windows Phone.
- Box app for Windows Phone will be available to Nokia Lumia consumers this Summer. With support for nine languages, Box for Windows Phone will enable users across the globe to browse, search and share files from their account.
In addition to aforementioned apps, Nokia also announced a beta version of City Lens available for Lumia 710, Lumia 800 and Lumia 900 smartphones and that lets users "see" via the smartphone's camera the names of businesses and other locations.
City Lens instantly reveals what you're looking for on your phone's camera display--no matter if it's down the street or just around the corner. You simply tap your chosen destination on your screen to conveniently access walking directions, make a reservation, or learn more detailed information about the locale.
Nokia City Lens instantly connects you to all of the places you're looking for--and even more importantly--gets you there exactly when and how you want to.
By using City Lens, you can:
- You can instantly see what's around you: landmarks, restaurants, hotels, shops and public transport stations visually right on your phone
- Select your interests in many different categories: Nokia City Lens will filter the points of interests and present your choices
- All the details at a glance: simply tap to read reviews, descriptions and destination information
- One tap to call or navigate to the location
- Share a place with friends via email and SMS or via the built-in sharing feature of Windows Phone
Here is the video demonstrating City Lens:
Grab your copy of Nokia City Lens now, from the Nokia Beta Labs.