Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012 RTM released today is a Solution Accelerator for operating system and application deployment. MDT 2012 supports deployment of Windows 7, Office 2010 and 365, and Windows Server 2008 R2 in addition to deployment of Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2003, and Windows XP.
MDT is the recommended process and toolset for automating desktop and server deployment.
The new MDT is available for x86 and x64 platforms. "Select the version that corresponds with your host hardware type. Both versions of MDT 2012 support deployment of x86 and x64 Windows operating systems," Microsoft states.
MDT provides you with the following benefits:
- Unified tools and processes, including a set of guidance, for deploying desktops and servers in a common deployment console.
- Reduced deployment time and standardized desktop and server images, along with improved security and ongoing configuration management.
Some of the key changes in MDT 2012 are:
- Comprehensive tools and guidance to efficiently manage large-scale deployments of Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 365.
- An enhanced user-Driven Installation (UDI) deployment method that utilizes System Center Configuration Manager 2012. UDI lets end users initiate and customize an OS deployment on their PCs--via an easy-to-use wizard.
- Ease Lite Touch installation through integration with Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit (DaRT).
- This release provides support for deploying Windows 8 Consumer Preview in a lab environment.
"The new in MDT 2012 guide and Release Notes are also available as separate downloads on the download page. The full package of guidance is available in .chm format as part of the toolkit," Microsoft notes.