The 2012 Xbox 360 Dashboard Update begin rolling out today "gradually" to Xbox LIVE subscribers and regions around the world and will be available over the course of the next week.
"Our initial deployment will reach approximately three million consoles worldwide, with additional users being updated over the course of a couple weeks," Microsoft stated. Adding, "Don't panic if you don't see an immediate update, just keep checking back in."
About Xbox SmartGlass, Microsoft says, that's "coming too," but will only available after Windows 8 launches on October 26th.
The Xbox SmartGlass app on tablets, PCs and smartphones, will include key foundational experiences for interacting with your Xbox 360, "such as dashboard and app navigation and Internet Explorer control, like text input, scrolling and pinch and zoom."
The 2012 Xbox LIVE Update bring following features:
- Refreshed Xbox 360 Dashboard. Updated UI include new layout with more tiles, a combined TV & Movies channel and, in the US, a Sports destination.
- Internet Explorer for Xbox let you easily find and view internet content on the biggest screen in the house, including HTML5 videos.
- Recommendations and Ratings. Recommendations will allow you to discover new favorites, generated based on a number of variables including the content you previously viewed, what your friends are consuming and what is most relevant and popular with our Xbox community. You can now rate content yourself and also see Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
- Pinning lets you personalize the dashboard by saving your favorite movies, TV shows, games, music, videos and websites right to the home screen. It's as easy as opening an app or a favorite movie and clicking "pin."
- Xbox Video (formerly called "Zune Video Marketplace") offers hundreds of thousands of TV shows and movies for buying or renting in instant HD streaming.
- Recent View (previously called "Quick Play") gives you a list of movies, games, apps or other types of content that you most recently accessed on the console.
- Enhanced Search adds "genre search" to the list, so now you can search for action, comedy, romance, drama or sci-fi. Bing voice search that was launched in the last update now includes results for video across the Web, including YouTube.
In addtion to above features, Bing Voice Search is now expanded to 9 new countries include: Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Ireland.