Twitter at its new Twitter HQ on Market Street in San Francisco held a press conference and showed off its new building as well as launched the all new Twitter.
The new redesigned Twitter fouces on four areas, it includes: a new home timeline, a new Connect section, hashtags, and a profile page (including enhanced pages for brands).
Twitter says, "It's now easier and faster to see the information that matters most to you". Adding, the company says "You'll see this new design both on Twitter.com and mobile phones, so that you'll have a familiar experience any time, anywhere."
Also updated today is the TweetDeck to be consistent with this new version.
Some of the new features includes:
- Home Timeline ("home" icon) is where you view Tweets from the people you have chosen to follow. Home keeps everything you're interested in all in one place. "Timeline delivery is 500 percent faster than it was." Web site, iPhone, Android, HTML5 mobile, Tweetdeck, etc. Retweets, favorites, etc. all right there. Additionally, click on tweet, copy embed code, stick in the story. Everything follows it in. Wasn't just a change in the interface. Not just adding a couple features to Twitter. Product engineers, infrastructure engineers focused on making it as fast as possible. Reach everyone?
- @connect shows you who has followed you, mentions, who has retweeted you and who has favorited one of your Tweets. Enter username. Or retweet. Where you're being mentioned.
- #discover is all about trending, notable stories and videos that are customized to you. When people see a hashtag on a billboard, can click on the symbol, enter the tag they say, and relevant conversations will surface. When you use Discover you'll see results reflecting your interests--based on your current location, what you follow and what's happening in the world.
- Me new profile outline icon. Profile pages are much richer; more media, video and images -- for individuals, brands and organizations.
Brands will have a "much richer canvas" to promote and explain themselves. "We wanted to group everything that happens about you in one specific area. Favorites, media, tweets. Wanted to tell more compelling stories. Profile pages for individual users much richer. Media: pictures, videos, etc. Best place to represent yourself on the internet. Also for brands."
"You can also control the message visitors see when they first come to your profile page by promoting a Tweet to the top of your page's timeline. This Tweet helps you highlight your most engaging and important content and better connect with your target audience. The Promoted Tweet on your profile page will appear auto-expanded so that visitors to your page can instantly see the photo or video content that you link to from your Tweet," revealed Twitter.
This page and the Promoted Tweet are both free of charge and publicly accessible for the whole world to see. Your profile page is your own - your colors, your logo, and your messaging.
Twitter is launching the new brand pages with 21 partners. If you have the enhanced version of Twitter enabled, you can see them here: @AmericanExpress, @BestBuy, @bing, @chevrolet, @CocaCola, @Dell, @DisneyPixar, @generalelectric, @Heineken, @HP, @intel, @JetBlue, @Kia, @McDonalds, @nikebasketball, @NYSE_Euronext, @GhostProtocol, @pepsi, @Staples, @subwayfreshbuzz, and @VerizonWireless.
- Speak up: You can Tweet from anywhere with in Twitter (not just your home page). Just click on the new Tweet button and instantly send your message out to the world. No matter where you are within Twitter, it's easy to express yourself. You can upload photos, add your location and link to videos, news stories and more. The Tweet button lets you share what's happening right now.
- Tweets can now expand to show more information such as replies, retweets and embedded photos and videos.
Here are a couple of pictures that show the new Twitter:
Here's an example of a corporate profile (DisneyPixar). You can see that it's much more effective as a branding and promotional tool.
Twitter's new three floors HQ exceeds 200,000 square feet. The building was completed in the same year as the Golden Gate bridge in 1937, and has been vacant for several years.
At the Le Web, Twitter's Ryan Sarver revealed that "With 100 million active users and 250 million tweets a day Twitter is now in a hyper growth phase."
Here are a few photos of the new HQ:
Here is a video from Twitter showing how things have changed in the new Twitter: