The Solution Accelerators team announced the release of beta 2 of the Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012.
"The MDT 2012 Beta 2 offers new User-Driven Installation components and extensibility for Configuration Manager 2007 and Configuration Manager 2012. New features and enhancements make large-scale desktop and server deployments smoother than ever! Existing MDT users will find more reliability and flexibility with the many small enhancements and bug fixes and a smooth and simple upgrade process," reveals Microsoft SA team.
- Full use of the capabilities provided by System Center Configuration Manager 2012 for OS deployment.
- Improved Lite Touch user experience and functionality.
- A smooth and simple upgrade process for all existing MDT users.
For System Center Configuration Manager customers:
- Support for Configuration Manager 2012 (while still supporting Configuration Manager 2007)
- New User-Driven Installation components for Configuration Manager 2007 and Configuration Manager 2012
- Extensible wizard and designer, additional integration with Configuration Manager to deliver a more customized OS experience, support for more imaging scenarios, and an enhanced end-user deployment experience
- Ability to migrate MDT 2012 task sequences from Configuration Manager 2007 to Configuration Manager 2012
For Lite Touch Installation:
- Integration with the Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit (DaRT) for remote control and diagnostics
- New monitoring capabilities to see the progress of currently running deployments
- Support for deploying Windows to computers using UEFI
- Ability to deploy Windows 7 so that the computer will start from a new VHD file, "Deploy to VHD"
- Improved deployment wizard user experience
For all customers:
- Integration with configuration templates from the Security Compliance Manager Solution Accelerator, ensuring Windows is secure from the start
- A simple mechanism for running Windows PowerShell scripts during a deployment, with task sequence environment and logging integration
- Better partitioning support, creating the recommended partitioning structures on new computers and ensuring deployments work regardless of the current structure
- A smooth and simple upgrade process for all existing MDT users
- Many small enhancements and bug fixes