Google App Engine team announced the limited preview of "Google Cloud SQL," a web service that allows you to create, configure, and use relational databases with your App Engine applications.
It is a fully-managed service that maintains, manages, and administers your databases, allowing you to focus on your applications and services.
By offering the capabilities of a MySQL database, the service enables you to easily move your data, applications, and services into and out of the cloud.
"You can now choose to power your App Engine applications with a familiar relational database in a fully-managed cloud environment. This allows you to focus on developing your applications and services, free from the chores of managing, maintaining and administering relational databases," revealed Google Cloud SQL team member.
Adding "The service includes database import and export functionality, so you can move your existing MySQL databases to the cloud and use them with App Engine," he said.
Google Cloud SQL brings many benefits including:
- No maintenance or administration - we manage the database for you.
- High reliability and availability - your data is replicated synchronously to multiple data centers. Machine, rack and data center failures are handled automatically to minimize end-user impact.
- Familiar MySQL database environment with JDBC support (for Java-based App Engine applications) and DB-API support (for Python-based App Engine applications).
- Comprehensive user interface for administering databases.
- Simple and powerful integration with Google App Engine.
Cloud SQL is available free of charge for now, and Google will publish pricing at least 30 days before charging for it.