Facebook today launches "People Talking About This" metric for fan pages, a new "Page Insights API tool", and a Premium Ad Unit.
People Talking About This counts 'stories" - structured content that people choose to share through Facebook that is eligible to appear in a user's news feed:
- liking your Page
- posting to your Page's Wall
- liking, commenting or sharing one of your Page posts (or other content on your page - like photos, videos, albums)
- answering a Question you posted, RSVP-ing to one of your events
- mentioning your Page, phototagging your Page
- liking or sharing a check-in deal, or checking in at your Place.
Conversations On Pages let brands reach more than just their Fans - which's important in increasing awareness, finding new customers, and even driving sales.
- Friends of Fans represent a larger set of consumers than just a brand's Fans - 34x larger, on average for the top 100 brand Pages, and 81x larger for the top 1000 (comScore).
- Friends of Fans are also much more likely to visit a store, website, and even purchase a product or service (comScore).
- Starbucks Fans & Friends of Fans spend 8% more in stores and are transacted 11% more frequently than average Starbucks customer (comScore)
- Bing Fans conduct 68% more searches on Bing than average Bing searcher. Friends of Fans conduct 27% more searches on Bing (comScore)
With Page Insights Tool, Facebook emphasizing the importance of sharing on Pages, because this increases a brand's reach, and reach is an important metric to marketers.
Facebook has enhanced Insights to show brands how to get more people talking about and sharing the things Pages/brands put on their Pages, which's key to getting a brand's message out to more people. And research shows that word-of-mouth conversations among friends are the most influential for getting a brand's message across.
With the new Page Insights, Pages can:
- See how posts they put on their Page reach people on Facebook - beyond their fans.
- See Total Likes, number of Friends of Fans of a Page, the new public and internal Pages metric, 'People talking about this', and Weekly Total Reach of a Page
- Optimize content for posts -whether they're photos, videos, questions, etc. - see what's working best at reaching the most people, and how to increase the viral nature of these posts.
Expanded Premium Ad Unit combines Page posts with social context from your friends when available. When the person viewing this brand's ad has friends connected to this brand's Page, Facebook will expand the unit to include a line above that shares which friends like the Page - thus combining the brand's voice in the ad with a friend's voice, together.
Facebook Page Insights API for the analytics developer community launched, so that they can create customized Page Insights solutions for existing and potential clients.
Webtrends (Gatorade, Simon Malls), Wildfire (Electronic Arts and Virgin Atlantic) and Context Optional (Sony Playstation and Levis) are already creating customized insights tools for clients based on the new Page Insights through the Facebook Insights API.