Yahoo! just announced that users who will be opting-into the new Yahoo! Mail starting today, chat conversations will open in a tab by default, announced Yahoo. For those of you who are currently in the newest version of Yahoo! Mail and want to switch to chat conversations in a tab, read on for a quick walkthrough:
- Click on the options link at the top left of the Yahoo! Mail page and then click on "Messenger Options".
- You will see the Messenger Options window pop-up as shown below. Now, click on the dropdown under "Conversation Window Management" and select "Tab" and click on OK.
Now, all future chat conversations will open in a tab. And, if you get a new IM while you are busy doing other stuff, you'll see a nice little animation in the tab alerting you.
Yahoo! also made the Tab management easier with the new tab menu.
"As you keep opening tabs in the new Yahoo! Mail, you will see a tab menu button show up on the far right of the tabs (the little down arrow in the screenshot below). Clicking on it will open a menu that will show you all the tabs you have open," explained Yahoo team.
Here's a quick tour of some nifty things you can do from the menu:
- Got your eye on a tab that you had forgotten about? Just, click on it to switch to that tab and finish what you started.
- Old tabs cluttering your UI? You can now hover over the title in the menu to display the close button (the "x" icon in the menu below) and click on it to close the tab.
- Want to start fresh and get rid of the clutter? The "Close All Message Tabs" item in the menu was designed to just do that. Click on it to get rid of all messages you were reading. Note that any unread IMs you have in tabs and any emails that you were writing will NOT be closed.
- Confused about which tab is the active tab (tab in view)? Look for the little dot on the left of the tab name for the indication.