Android is Top Mobile Operating System, Apple is Top Manufacturer In U.S. Smartphone Market, Nielsen Report

Google's Android mobile operating system now claims the largest share of the U.S. consumer smartphone market with 39 percent. On the other hand, Apple's mobile os iOS is in second place with 28 percent, according to June data from Nielsen."Research In Motion continues to bleed share, down to 20 percent in the second quarter of […]

Google's Android mobile operating system now claims the largest share of the U.S. consumer smartphone market with 39 percent. On the other hand, Apple's mobile os iOS is in second place with 28 percent, according to June data from Nielsen.

"Research In Motion continues to bleed share, down to 20 percent in the second quarter of 2011. Windows Mobile and Windows Phone combined grabbed nine percent, webOS and Palm OS were barely a blip with two percent, as was Nokia's dying Symbian OS," Nielsen reports.

However, "because Apple is the only company manufacturing smartphones with the iOS operating system," it is clearly the top smartphone manufacturer in the United States that controls 28 percent of the market (excluding iPods and iPads).

Other leading manufacturers, HTC shares second spot with Research In Motion, whose Android phones represents 14 percent and Windows Mobile/WP7 devices account for 6 percent for a total of 20 percent share of the whole smartphone market, same as the BlackBerry maker.

Apple beat Nokia when it announced second-quarter iPhone sales of 20.3 million units versus Nokia's 34 percent decline in shipments to 16.7 million units. Blame it on the Symbian boycott by carriers and Nokia's new CEO Stephen Elop whom analyst Tomi Ahonen, called incompetent, saying Elop will "go down in history as the notorious and misguided name that destroyed the best-known brand on the planet". Ahonen, also an ex-Nokia engineer, portrays this as "management stupidity in the scale of Coca-Cola's 1985 launch of New Coke".

Motorola, whose Android devices are owned by 11 percent of smartphone consumers.

Samsung's is at $3 position with its Android devices are used by 8 percent of smartphone owners while their Windows Mobile/WP7 phones are used by 2 percent of smartphone owners.

[Source: Nielsen]