LinkedIn for students today announced the launch of new LinkedIn profile sections to help students showcase the skills and experience they've achieved during their school years.
This capability is particularly important for students and recent graduates - and here's why:
"LinkedIn profile is a powerful tool for working professionals. By capturing accomplishments in real time and publishing them on the LinkedIn network, members catch the eyes of other professionals - colleagues, recruiters, and hiring managers - and find one another for networking opportunities. These're benefits that no resume on a hard drive can ever deliver," said LinkedIn.
Here're some sections you may want to add to your profile:
- Projects shows that you can apply classroom learning to real-world challenges and work effectively in a team. Add compelling research or class projects to your profile - especially those that demonstrate experience relevant to your professional goals.
- Honors & Awards provide objective validation for your accomplishments.
- Organizations: Participation in on-campus or external organizations shows your contributions outside the classroom.
- Test Scores: Employers often view strong test scores as indicators of good problem solving skills. If you've excelled at standardized tests, or have a stellar G.P.A., include these scores on your profile.
- Courses: List select courses on your profile - especially those that qualify you for positions you're seeking, or demonstrate your commitment to expanding your academic horizons.
How-to: Add new student sections to your profile.
- Go to your LinkedIn profile page in edit mode, and click the blue “Add sections” bar under your profile summary.
- Then, browse the available sections and select a section to add to your profile.
- When editing the section, include examples and specifics about your contributions, and how the experience added to your skills and abilities.
- The new section will appear on your profile – and you can adjust your profile settings to control who can see these sections.
You can rearrange the sections of the profile to highlight your strongest sections. Simply click on the section header, and drag and drop it to the best location on the page.