WhitePages.com has launched a couple of new local search products this morning. Both are focused on neighborhoods and "hyper-local" information.
One is effectively a neighborhood-based social network called "WhtePages Neighbors," is prepopulated with WhitePages "people search" data, which covers most of the US. So when you search or look around your neighborhood you'll already see extensive contact information for the people who live near you.
Claim your Profile:
Control your public information
Connect with your neighbors
Edit inaccurate data
Organize a Block Party:
Select your neighbors from a map
Auto-send first class postcard invitations
View RSVP online
The other, is a new Android search app called "Localicious," which WhitePages says is the first "neighborhood aware app." "With Localicious, 80,000 Neighborhoods and 21 million local businesses are just a tap away!," read the description for the app.
The app will identify nearby neighborhoods by default. But you can also choose other destinations where you'll be later or next week.
Localicious also tries to minimize keying in queries and does a good job with popular-category search and pre-populated suggestions:
To further simplify neighborhood search, Localicious has analyzed millions of businesses searches across WhitePages web and mobile platforms to create 25 highly relevant categories to help users quickly narrow their search to find relevant local businesses based on their specific interests, including a "Popular" view which automatically suggests popular businesses nearby.
- Find the places you're looking for fast with laser-focused neighborhood search.
- Auto detects your neighborhood to show the best popular businesses nearby.
- Realtime tips and hot spot alerts keep you updated on what's happening in your 'hood.
- Tap to map another neighborhood and explore across town or across the country.
- Foursquare users can pre check-in before arriving - just set it and forget it!