Along with Office 2010 SP1, Microsoft also made available the Service Pack 1 for SharePoint 2010 Products for Download, that includes stability, performance, and security enhancements.
"It is strongly recommended to install the June 2011 Cumulative Update immediately after the installation of Service Pack 1. The June Cumulative Update includes several important security and bug fixes that are not included Service Pack 1," informs Microsoft.
"Prior to installing SP1 you should carefully read the known issues and release notes at KB2510766. SP1 includes all fixes released through April 2011 so it can be installed directly to RTM builds of SharePoint 2010 Products, or any prior Cumulative Update."
Install the service pack 1 in the following order on every server in the farm:
- for SharePoint Foundation 2010
- for SharePoint Foundation 2010 Language Pack (if applicable) for SharePoint Server 2010
- for SharePoint Server 2010 Language Pack (if applicable)
The SharePoint 2010 Products Configuration Wizard or "psconfig –cmd upgrade –inplace b2b -wait" should be run once on every server in the farm following the final update installed.
The version of content databases will be 14.0.6029.1000 after successfully installation. For more in-depth guidance for the update process, we recommend reviewing the following articles. These articles provide a correct way to deploy updates and identify known issues (and resolutions).
- Prepare to deploy a software update for SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Install a software update for SharePoint Foundation 2010
- Prepare to deploy a software update for SharePoint Server 2010
- Install a software update for SharePoint Server 2010
To learn about what's new in Service Pack 1 read the Service Pack 1 for SharePoint Foundation 2010 and SharePoint Server 2010 whitepaper.
[Source: SharePoint Team Blog]