Xbox 360's momentum could increase in the second half of 2011, especially since market conditions are extremely favorable to Microsoft. As, the second half of 2011 promises to be monumental for Xbox 360 with new games like Kinect: Star Wars (that's a screen shot of the Kinect: Star Wars demo at E3 above), which'll be available for the coming 2011 holiday season.
According to the latest NPD numbers, "Xbox 360 has sold more consoles than any other platform for 11 of the past 12 months in the US. Now in the seventh year of its lifecycle, Xbox 360 is on pace to have the biggest year in its history, a feat never achieved by any console in history."
Per May 2011 NPD highlights:
- Xbox 360 sold 270,000 units in May, maintaining the number-one console spot in the U.S.
- Xbox 360 console sales during May were up 39% year over year, the largest growth of any current generation console on the market. May also marked the seventeenth month of year-over-year hardware sales increases.
- Xbox 360 game sales reached $140 million.
- Total retail spend on the Xbox 360 platform in May (hardware, software and accessories) reached $265 million, still the highest among current generation consoles.
- During the month of May, four of the top 10 console game titles were for Xbox 360 including: "L.A. Noire, Portal 2, Mortal Kombat, and "Brink."
As far as the US market is concerned, Xbox 360 has outsold direct rivals Wii and PlayStation for no less than 11 months standing. One more month, and Xbox 360 will be the best selling console in the US for the past year, according to the NPD Group.
[Via: Microsoft blog]