Microsoft Enterprise Desktop Virtualization (MED-V) Configuration Pack is now available from Microsoft Download Center for free download.
"This MED-V Configuration Pack tracks the successes and failures of FTS using the Desired Configuraiton Manager in Configuration Manager 2007," revealed Microsoft.
"After MED-V and its required components are installed, MED-V must be configured. The initial configuration of MED-V is known as first time setup (FTS)," Microsoft explains.
"This is a critical step and if not completed users will not be able to use MED-V. This MED-V Configuration Pack provides a way for administrators to use the Desired Configuration Management feature of System Center Configuration Manager to track the successes and failures of FTS."
According to Microsoft, "during FTS, MED-V does the following":
- VHD is configured. Mini-Setup runs and expands the Windows XP image.
- Commands for additional configuration are run, such as installing ESD software or other applications, or configuring the image.
- Ftscompletion.exe is run. This process completes the MED-V configuration, adds the user to the RDP group to let them access the MED-V workspace, copies logs, signals MED-V that the MED-V workspace is ready. This process can also add the user as an administrator of the MED-V workspace if this was configured when the MED-V workspace was created.
- Workspace is then restarted by Ftscompletion.exe and the end user is logged on. If they did not save their password during first time setup, they would be prompted for it.
- MED-V workspace is then started and configured for the user. Configuration includes applying Group Policy.
More Info: Download