In a blog post on June 1st, Google's Eric Grosse revealed that they've uncovered a password-stealing campaign originating from Jinan, China that targeted senior U.S., South Korean, and other Asian government officials, Chinese political activists, military personnel, and journalists.
"Google detected and has disrupted this campaign to take users' passwords and monitor their emails," Grosse said. "We've notified victims and secured their accounts. In addition, we've notified relevant government authorities."
Xinhua News Agency, the official press group of the government of the People's Republic of China, ran an article on Thursday calling Google's accusations groundless and hurtful to global trust on the Internet.
"The chimerical complaints by Google have become obstacles for enhancing global trust between stakeholders in cyberspace," Xinhua said.
It is an echo of events that happened early last year.
The Telegraph web site reports that Hong Lei, a Chinese foreign ministry spokesman, said, "Blaming these misdeeds on China is unacceptable."
He added, "Hacking is an international problem and China is also a victim. The claims of so-called Chinese state support for hacking are completely fictitious and have ulterior motives."