Xdebug is a very popular PHP extension that helps with debugging and profiling of PHP scripts by providing a lot of valuable debug information. Microsoft WebMatrix is a development tool for building web apps. When WebMatrix is used to build or modify a PHP-based web app the debugging tasks can be greatly simplified if Xdebug extension is used.
This post explains how to install and use Xdebug extension with WebMatrix.
- Enable PHP in WebMatrix from the site “Settings” page:
Note that if you installed any of the PHP applications from the Application Gallery then PHP will be automatically enabled.
- Download the appropriate build of Xdebug extension from downloads page. If your site uses PHP 5.2 then download “5.2 VC6 Non-thread safe (32 bit)”. For PHP 5.3 “5.3 VC9 Non-thread safe (32 bit)”. Use 32 bit build even if your Windows OS is 64 bit.
- : Install the extension by copying the downloaded file to the following locations:
- For PHP 5.2 on Windows 64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\PHP\v5.2\ext\
- For PHP 5.2 on Windows 32 bit: C:\Program Files\IIS Express\PHP\v5.2\ext\
- For PHP 5.3 on Windows 64 bit: C:\Program Files (x86)\IIS Express\PHP\v5.3\ext\
- For PHP 5.3 on Windows 32 bit: C:\Program Files\IIS Express\PHP\v5.3\ext\
- : Open the php.ini file located in the PHP installation folder, e.g.
C:\Program Files\IIS Express\PHP\v5.2\php.ini and append the following at the end (make sure that the absolute path is correct for your version of PHP and Windows.):
[xdebug] zend_extension = C:\Program Files\iis express\PHP\v5.2\ext\php_xdebug-2.1.0-5.2-vc6-nts.dll
- : Configure PHP to display errors by changing these PHP settings in php.ini file:
display_errors = On error_reporting = E_ALL