Microsoft released the SP1 of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 to MSDN and TechNet Subscribers as well as Volume License customers. And, on February 22nd, everybody else will be able to download SP1 from the Microsoft Download Center or Windows Update.
As people begin downloading and installing SP1, here're some tips and recommendations for people before moving forward with their installation.
First off -- for those of you simply looking to update single PC or home PCs, it's recommend using WU instead of downloading the standalone installer (or Network Installation Package) from MDC. WU will provide the best installation experience for you.
Before installing Win7 SP1, please backup your PC (and important files) to an external hard drive, DVD/CD or network location. It's best practice to regularly backup your PC and important files. Win7 has impressive built-in backup capabilities which you can learn about here.
You should also make sure your device drivers are up to date. You can do this through WU or device manufacturer's websites.
Microsoft has published KB2492938 detailing the problems that customers can come across when installing SP1. "The software giant provided examples of programs that will not run after installing Service Pack 1 RTM, including IncrediMail Xe 2.0 from IncrediMail Ltd., Lenovo System Update from Lenovo, and Ninja Trader 7.0; 6.5 from Ninja Trader."
For those who may want to free up hard drive space, it's possible to remove the sp installation specific files after installing Win7 SP1 by running Disk Cleanup and clicking "Clean up system files" button and checking "Service Pack Backup Files" to free up space. See below screenshot.
It's recommend only doing this a few weeks after installing Win7 SP1. Please note that once you do this you'll be unable to remove Wi7 SP1 from your PC.
Also, you can download "Documentation for Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (KB976932)" that Includes:
- Deployment Guide for WS2008 R2 with SP1 and Win7 with SP1
- Hotfixes and Security Updates included in Win7 and WS 2008 R2 SP1
- Installing WS2008 R2 with SP1 ("readme")
- Release Notes for Win7 with SP1
- Release Notes for WS 2008 R2 with SP1
For additional information (including how to deploy the service pack), please see here.
More Info: Download
Here're some content about Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 Service Pack 1 (SP1) trouleshooting:
- Troubleshoot problems installing a service pack for Windows 7
- Why am I receiving a message about Microsoft Security Essentials or Microsoft Forefront Client Security when installing a service pack?
- Why am I receiving an error message that system components are missing when installing Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)?
- Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2 Service Pack 1 (SP1) installation error: 0x800F0A12
- How to uninstall Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- What's included in Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1)
- strategies for freeing up disk space
[tags]win7,security pack 1,sp1,microsoft partners,ws 2008 r2,wu,micosoft download center,mdc,recommendations[/tags]