Microsoft today launched "Bing Bar", that gives you quick access to all the stuff you do online. Conducting a search, checking Facebook or keeping tabs on email, Bing Bar centralizes the most common things you do while helping you discover new features that let you get the most out of Bing.
This post cover a few of the top features:
- First thing you'll notice, a centered search box.
- Secondly, to reduce the number of clicks to find -- consolidated things like search history (in purple), suggestions (in black) and deep links (at the top) right into the search box to help accelerate search. Since most people don't want to start typing a search and then lift a hand off the keyboard to grab the mouse, it's easy to navigate with the arrow keys to any item on the list. Below is an example for
Facebook: Notification let you know about new activity on your Facebook account, so you can stay connected no matter what you're doing on the web.
- You've quick access to your news feed to see posts from your friends and to update your status. You can also comment on or Like a friend's post right from the Bing Bar.
- With photos you get a great looking collage of your friend's photos, making it easy to scan the pictures your friends are sharing.
- Bing Bar also provides a quick glimpse and easy access to friend requests, messages and Facebook notifications.
Proactive Alerts act a bit like your online personal assistant, letting you know when new messages arrive or when the Bing Bar can help you with something you're doing online.
Here's a small sample of the actual alerts.
- Facebook & Mail Alerts appear subtly below the Bing Bar, and gently fade away after a few seconds, if you hover over them they remain and you can take action.
- Each of the different buttons has several notification states. In addition to Facebook and E-mail alerts also provide short alerts for breaking news, weather advisories, translation alerts, new Bing Rewards offers and much more.
(Caption: Notifications of new e-mail and new Bing Rewards offers shown in Bing Bar)
(Caption: Winter Storm weather advisory)
(Caption: Translation notification for a site that is in a different language than your browser)
(Caption: Alerts of new Bing Rewards offers )
Mail provide one central location for consumers to quickly preview mail. If you use more than one e-mail account, and many times from different providers (Bing Bar support Hotmail, Yahoo! Mail and Gmail).
Bing Rewards Preview -- US Only provide you opportunity to earn credits redeemable for great rewards just by taking advantage of offers while searching, discovering, and exploring on Bing right from the new Bing Bar. Learn about Bing features and ways to find information more quickly while earning credits for rewards like gift cards for Starbucks and Amazon, Microsoft Points for Xbox Live and more. We'll also alert you when new offers are available through alerts in the Bing Bar. Sign up for free through the Bing Rewards icon in the Bing Bar and earn 250 credits to get you started towards your first reward.
Here's the the video demonstrating new Bing Bar:
Download: Bing Bar
[tags]bing bar,bing rewards[/tags]