This post discuss the managing your AdWords account effectively. Fortunately, there're ways to make the account management process much easier and faster. Here're five features that can simplify the process:
- Keyword Insertion dynamically inserts your keywords into your text ad(s). This allows the user to see an ad that is highly relevant to their search, which increases the chances of a click. If the keyword triggered is longer than the character limit, the default ad text you specify will show instead.
Implementation is easy - you simply place one snippet of code into your ad. See this quick guide that explains further.
- Broad Match Modifier is the newest keyword match type, which's essentially a cross between broad and phrase match. It allows more search flexibility than phrase match, but more precise targeting than broad match. It's identified by a plus (+) sign immediately proceeding any word within a keyword - and you can utilize this feature for certain words or all words within a keyword.
The time-savers with BMM are that you a) can safely use it as as your default match type for any new keywords, without having to worry about broad/phrase/exact, and b) avoid having to identify and add as many negative keywords to filter out unwanted traffic that broad can require.
- Conversion Optimizer: Getting traffic to your site is half the battle; the other half is converting the traffic to the action you want them to take. Conversion tracking measures the effectiveness of your traffic, by showing which keywords lead to the important action(s) you specify on your site - a sale, lead, signup, etc.
To use this feature, you need to have at least 15 conversions recorded in the last 30 days. To activate it, go to the Campaign tab > Select campaign name > Settings tab > "Bidding Option: Edit" > "Focus on Conversions".
- Custom Alerts feature notifies you when metrics fall or rise past a certain threshold that you set. You choose whether your notifications appear within the messages section of your account, or emailed to you directly. This frees you up to pay attention to the account only as necessary.
- Automated Rules that takes a specific action based on the parameters you set. System-implemented changes can be made to the bids, budgets, and status of campaigns, ad groups, ads and sets of keywords. For instance, you may use it to:
- Raise CPCs by a certain amount for all keywords that fall below position 4
- Activate ads late Sunday night for a promotion that begins the following morning
- Increase your daily budget during the weekdays when you have customer support
You can have up to 10 rules at a time. There isn't a way to edit each rule, so just delete and create new ones as desired. And stay tuned, because new levers and options are in the works...