Microsoft released the Windows Phone Developer Tools Update. This update will allow developers to build apps using some updated assemblies which will ship in the forthcoming Windows Phone OS update. In practical terms, this is the tools update that supports the forthcoming addition of copy and paste, improved app performance and other enhancements for WP.
All apps which are in Windows Phone Marketplace will continue to work on any phone that gets updated to the new version of the OS. Any app built using this new version of the tools will also work on phones that haven't been updated to the new OS.
The Windows Phone Developer Tools January 2011 Update includes:
- Windows Phone Emulator Update exposes copy/paste functionality in the WP7 emulator. More info: How to: Test Copy and Paste in Windows Phone Emulator. End users can use the copy and paste functionality only after receiving the corresponding update to WP7.
- Windows Phone Developer Resources Update fixes a text selection bug in pivot and panorama controls. In apps that've pivot or panorama controls that contain text boxes, users can unintentionally change panes when trying to copy text. To prevent this problem, open your app, recompile it, and then resubmit it to WP Marketplace.
- Windows Phone Capability Detection Tool detects the phone capabilities used by your app. When you submit your app to Marketplace, Microsoft performs a code analysis to detect the phone capabilities required by your app and then replaces the list of capabilities in the app manifest with the result of this detection process. This tool performs the same detection process and allows you to test your app using the same list of phone capabilities generated during the certification process. More info: How to: Use the Capability Detection Tool.
- Windows Phone Connect Tool allows you to connect your phone to a PC when Zune software isn't running and debug apps that use media APIs. More info: How to: Use the Connect Tool.
- Updated Bing Maps Silverlight Control includes improvements to gesture performance when using Bing Maps Silverlight Control.
Download: WPDT January 2011 Update