Microsoft today delivered the Release Candidate (RC) test build of:
- Windows Home Server 2011(formerly "Vail"), and there is no Drive Extender included. There's also no Drive Extender in "Aurora"
- Small Business Server 2011 Essentials -- a Vail sibling for which Microsoft also is delivering an RC build today. (Aurora is a hybrid cloud-on-premises small-business server, for those who need a refresher.)
In case there is any confusion: Drive Extender is gone. It isn't coming back. Period.
Both the Vail and Aurora RCs are public, and available for download as of 10 a.m. PT today via the Microsoft Connect site. Microsoft is calling these the "final, pre-release versions" of both products, with the release-to-manufacturing (RTM) code due in the first half of calendar 2011.
The RC version of the products includes a new Move Folder Wizard for deploying storage and migrating folders. The wizard simplifies the process of detecting storage, formatting a disk, assigning a volume and moving a folder to the new volume.
As Hard Drives are added to the Home Server, your health alerts will notify you that a new Hard Drive is available. From here, you can automatically format and configure the new drive for additional storage.
Once configured, you can easily use the Move Folder Wizard to move your data to the new drive as needed.
With Drive Extender, you just popped in a hard drive, and WHS would do the rest: formatting the drive, adding it to the blob of storage, and creating redundancies.
Microsoft also is making available "Learning Bites for Essentials," which're 10 five-to-six-minute videos that go through self-service IT tasks available to those using the Small Business Server 2011 Essentials product.
Here' a "Learning Bite" for WHS 2011 on Managing Storage:
Data protection also includes daily Server and PC backup, Previous Versions via Shadow copy which lets you return prior versions of existing files (without needing to restore from backup), and a protection feature for pre-defined folders (such as Recorded TV, Videos, Photos) in case these are accidently deleted.
SBS 2011 RC is ideal as a first server for small businesses with up to 25 users, and provides a cost-effective and easy-to-use solution to help protect data, organize and access business information from virtually anywhere, support the applications needed to run a business, and quickly connect to online services for e-mail, collaboration and CRM.
SBS 2011 Essentials features:
- Automatic local backup, simple restore of server and client computers
- Easily connect to online services
- Work virtually anywhere, anytime
- Increase business productivity
- Simple, secure, dependable network
- Easy-to-use storage and sharing
[tags]sbs 2011 essentials,small business server 2011 essentials,whs 2011,windows home server 2011,release candidate,rc[/tags]