Begining today and over the coming weeks, Google will be rolling out city targeting in 17 additional countries to help you reach more customers in local markets with your AdWords campaigns. With this expansion, city targeting will now be available to AdWords advertisers in 34 countries. In addition, also introduced the ability to target regions in Argentina.
The countries with new city and region targeting options in AdWords are (click to see the full list): "Argentina (region targeting only), Austria, Brazil, China (coming soon), Colombia, Czech Republic, Finland (coming soon), Hungary (coming soon), Malaysia, Mexico, Morocco, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Poland, South Korea, Switzerland, Ukraine."
Location targeting helps you tailor your ads towards specific markets, analyze your AdWords campaigns by market, and optimize your campaigns for higher return-on-investment. Now, you can go a level deeper and optimize the performance of your AdWords campaign at the city level.
Here're a few steps that you can take to optimize your AdWords campaign:
- Run an AdWords geographic report or Analytics report to determine where your users are located and where you're getting your most valuable traffic.
- Adjust your campaign setup:
- Run a campaign targeting the best-performing cities such as Mexico City, and increase the bids on the keywords in that campaign to maximize your ad impressions in those cities.
- Consider setting up a regionally- (or nationally-) targeted campaign with potentially lower bids on the same keywords to capture additional traffic from outside your top-performing cities at a lower cost.
- Adjust bids accordingly to optimize for the highest campaign ROI.