Setup of the Windows Essential Business Server Management server fails while installing Microsoft System Center Essentials 2007 SP1. This can occur whether you're performing a new installation, joining an existing domain or a replacement mode setup.
Windows Server Update Services 3.0 SP1 package installed as part of SCE 2007 SP1 is out of date. As a result it prevents the installation of SCE, and therefore EBS, from completing. You can cross check messages in the log files in the More Information section below to determine if you're running into this.
Use following steps to substitute WSUS 3.0 SP 2 for WSUS 3.0 SP 1:
- Begin installation of EBS Management server and stop once you reach EBS setup (OOBE) wizard
- Press Shift+F10 to open a command shell. Install EBS Preparation and Planning tools, but *DO NOT launch them* after they're installed
- Replace WsusSetup.exe with SP2 version using following steps.
- Download WSUS 3 SP2 x64 version
- Rename downloaded package: WSUS30-KB972455-x64.exe to WSUSSetup.exe
- Rename C:\Program Files\Windows Essential Business Server\Bin\SCE\Setup\AMD64\WSUSSetup.exe to C:\Program Files\Windows Essential Business Server\Bin\SCE\Setup\AMD64\WSUSSetup.old
- Copy new WSUS package to C:\Program Files\Windows Essential Business Server\Bin\SCE\Setup\AMD64\
- Replace WSUS_HOTFIX with an update for Preparation and Planning wizard using following steps.
- Rename C:\Program Files\Windows Essential Business Server\bin\WSUS_HOTFIX\KB954960_x64.msp to KB954960_x64.old.
- Download KB 977195 update for Preparation and Planning wizard to the server. Shortcut here.
- Extract MSP from the CAB and rename it to KB954960_x64.msp. Copy this KB954960_x64.msp file into the folder C:\Program Files\Windows Essential Business Server\bin\WSUS_HOTFIX\ .
- Close the command shell and continue with EBS Management setup. Select NO to updates.
[tags]ebs,windows essential business server,webs,sce,sp1[/tags]