In the video below, Hal Varian, Chief Economist at Google, show you how ads are targeted to your pages, priced by the ad auction, and translated into the earnings you receive. "Hal introduce you to ad auction for AdSense for content ads, and explain both what it's for and how it works. Like a traditional auction, advertisers bid in ad auction to show ads on your pages. The number and price of ads in the auction changes from moment to moment, based on how much advertisers are willing to spend and how they've set up their ad campaigns -- this's why we call our auction "dynamic," as these factors can then affect how much you earn," explains Google.
Here're some tried-and-true tips to increase the amount of competition among advertisers in the ad auction for your pages.
- Keep creating high-quality sites full of original content to attract more advertisers, and use Google Analytics to see which content is generating revenue.
- Try adding popular advertiser formats such as 300x250 medium rectangle to your pages.
- Turn your channels into targetable ad placements to help advertisers identify and target premium locations on your pages.
- Experiment to find optimal locations for your ads, while making sure that your layouts won't generate accidental clicks.
- Help advertisers find your sites by claiming them in Ad Planner. You can add descriptions and categories that describe your content, which will help increase the visibility of your ad units to interested advertisers.