Google CEO Eric Schmidt spoke on a panel at Techonomy conference in Lake Tahoe, California, and offered some juicy facts and perspective worth taking note of. Here're some of the key quotes:
- Google is now activating over 200,000 Android devices each day, an increase of more than 40,000 since June.
- that search giant is making enough money from search revenue by users using open source Android "Trust me, that revenue is large enough to pay for all of Android activities and a whole bunch more."
- "I should also say that we love the success of iPhone because iPhone also uses Google's search and we get a chunk of that revenue when people search on the iPhone."
- Schmidt emphasized that much of that data explosion is attributable to rise of user generated content. With that data comes powerful new analytic possibilities.
"If I look at enough of your messaging and your location, and use Artificial Intelligence," Schmidt said, "we can predict where you';re going to go."
"Show us 14 photos of yourself and we can identify who you're. You think you don't have 14 photos of yourself on internet? You've got Facebook photos! People will find it's very useful to have devices that remember what you want to do, because you forgot...But society isn't ready for questions that'll be raised as result of user-generated content."
- On Anti-Social Behavior and Data. "The only way to manage this's true transparency and no anonymity," Schmidt said. "In a world of asynchronous threats, it's too dangerous for there not to be some way to identify you. We need a [verified] name service for people. Governments will demand it."