Windows Live Wave 4 Essentials Beta download page, revealed that the latest version of Windows Live Essentials will indeed “Windows Vista SP2 (with Platform Update for Windows Vista), Windows 7, Windows Server 2008 SP2 (with Platform Update for Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2, and includes all of the 32-bit and 64-bit operating system.”
Microsoft will add two new Windows Live services in Wave 4 ‘Devices and Docs,’ and it appears that the Redmond company will also be discontinuing two more services in Wave 4 – (in addition to ‘Events & My.Live.com’ which’re going away this April) ‘Windows Live Call and Windows Live Toolbar’. Those of you who had been using Windows Live Call – a VoIP software that comes with Messenger which allows PC-to-PC and PC-to-Phone, might have recently received notice that your Windows Live Call service will be getting discontinued soon. Voype by Telefonica a service provider for Windows Live Call in USA, Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Peru, and Venezuela; consume your remaining balance by June 1st, 2010, and as of March 31, 2010, Bell Canada we will no longer be offering Internet Talk service.
Here’re some new concepts introduced in Messenger Wave 4:
- Badge is a campaign or affiliation that you can place on your profile. Basically an icon that you place next to your display name
- Services vs. Web Activities – “Services” in Wave 4 expands on “Web Activities” and allow integration of 3rd-party services with Windows Live.
- VIP Links will automatically recognise specific words from what you or your friends have typed in your conversation and display a dotted line beneath it. Clicking word will bring you to “Add content from web” window, and will pre-populate and search for any images related to that word on Bing. You can select multiple images of that word and add them to your conversation, and view them together like you would in PhotoShare.
- Video Messages is now fully integrated within Messenger. You can record up to 30 seconds of video message, and after recording you can preview before clicking Send, which’ll automatically upload video message onto SkyDrive and the contact will be notified.
- Brand new default emoticons ‘Shifty, Annoyed, and Groucho’
- Social mode vs. Contacts mode – clicking button on the top-right corner will allow you to easily switch between the two modes.