MIX10 kicked off with a keynote from Scott Guthrie and Joe Belfiore. Microsoft unveiled the development platform for Windows Phone 7 Series that’ll bring new applications, games and experiences to life. Highlights include:
- End-to-End Mobile Development Platform: By combining Silverlight for rich internet apps and XNA Framework for game development, developers and designers will be able to build visually stunning and immersive apps and games on Windows Phone 7 Series. Specifically, developers will be able to take advantage of: • Accelerometer, an intuitive control that responds to motion • Microsoft Location Service to provide developers a single point of reference to acquire location information • Microsoft Notification Service for pushing information to phone, regardless of whether or not an app is running • Hardware-accelerated video with digital rights management (DRM) • Internet Information Services Smooth Streaming for the industry’s highest quality content viewing experience • Multitouch • Camera and microphone support.
- Free Windows Phone Developer Tools: Microsoft released a free comprehensive tool support package for Silverlight on Windows Phone 7 Series. Expression Blend for Windows Phone and preview of Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone will be also included as part of download. The install package includes: • Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 Express for Windows Phone • Windows Phone 7 Series add-in to use with Visual Studio 2010 RC • XNA Game Studio 4.0 • Windows Phone 7 Series Emulator for application testing • Expression Blend for Windows Phone CTP (available as a separate download). More info: Download | Windows Phone Developer Tools CTP | Developers Website
- Windows Phone Marketplace: Microsoft made available a new merchandising tool to enable developers and designers to bring apps and games to market and increase the discoverability of apps with customers while supporting one-time credit card purchases, mobile operator billing and advertising-funded applications.
- Silverlight 4 Release Candidate: Microsoft released Silverlight 4 RC which’ll enable developers to create and deploy even more robust applications and rich interactive experiences. Silverlight 4 RC provides powerful media and enterprise application and media capabilities, out-of-browser flexibility and world-class tools support via Visual Studio and Expression Blend with Sketchflow to enable robust application development and rich interactive experiences. More info: Download | Silverlight 4 SDK RC | Website
- Expression Blend 4 Beta: Microsoft revealed a new beta for its design and development workflow tool which includes features such as Path Layout to enable developers and designers to build and animate innovative UI design via ground-breaking visual layout mechanism, without the need to write code. The beta also supports Silverlight 4, .NET Framework 4 and Visual Studio 2010. More info: Download