The recent Springboard Series Virtual Roundtable “Windows 7: To the Beta and Beyond” with Mark Russinovich is out, fielded numerous questions on the Windows 7 Beta release.
Q: Why is Windows 7 more quick to start up compared to Windows Vista?
A: In working to improve performance for startup we have focused on making improvements in the following areas:
- The efficiency of core Windows code
- Only starting certain services when they are needed (demand-start services)
- The way device drivers are initialized
- Allowing multiple device drivers to start at the same time (parallelization)
- An overall reduction in the memory and CPU required to start and run the graphics system