Ambroise Fensterbank, Search Quality Evaluator at Google discusses “how to optimize your site for Google search”. Ranking in Google search is based on many different algorithms, and optimization for search is a long, continuous process. He recommend avoiding any techniques that claim to optimize your ranking very quickly or radically, against guidelines. If you have concerns or questions, consult Google's official forum for webmaster-related issues.
We encourage you to monitor the quality of your site's backlinks -- links from any site directing to your site. To increase your site's popularity, check if other sites that discuss similar topics or have a similar reader base are aware your site exists.
Outgoing links are also important and should comply with our guidelines. When you create a link to another site, we recommend first asking yourself: "Is this link going to be useful for my visitors?" or "Is this link likely to be clicked by my visitors?". Don't participate in link schemes or buy/sell links that pass PageRank, as it is against our guidelines and may hurt your site's performance in our search results.
Here are some tips for structuring your site:
- Your pages should have a clear hierarchy and relevant internal links. You must create a Sitemap and use Google's Webmaster Tools for information such as where your backlinks come from or which queries visitors used to reach your site.
- Use <title> tags that are explicit and useful for the user. For example, avoid a title like “Homepage” or “Welcome to my site”.
- For images, use ALT attributes to describe appropriately what the image is about. [More info: Video]
- Adding compelling content on a regular basis may help Google crawl your pages regularly. It can have the added benefit of attracting links to your pages too.
- Finally, design your site with your users in mind, and be patient and consistent in your efforts.
- To attract quality backlinks and develop your optimization strategy, it's important to keep a clear structure for your pages and regularly add organic content.