This information was originally compiled for a 3.2 to 4.1 upgrade scenario but the same SoftGrid Client upgrade process should apply for 4.2 as well.
Always be sure to read the release notes for the version you’re upgrading to for more information regarding special steps needed for your specific upgrade path.
This article addresses the upgrading of an existing v18.104.22.168 SoftGrid environment to version 22.214.171.1242. This article assumes that the reader has already read the product release notes:
Microsoft SoftGrid 4.1 Service Pack 1 release notes (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/938497)
The following is a list of supported upgrade paths between versions:
- v4.0.x to v126.96.36.1992 (SP1)
- v4.1.x to v188.8.131.522 (SP1)
- v184.108.40.206 to v220.127.116.112 (SP1)
- v3.x to v18.104.22.168
The following is the supported order in which to upgrade the various SoftGrid
- Upgrade SoftGrid Clients prior to upgrading SoftGrid server
- Upgrade SoftGrid Sequencer to same version as SoftGrid client
- Newer clients are compatible with prior SoftGrid Server versions
- SoftGrid Packages compatible, there are some exceptions
Note: Only practices that have been tested and verified (i.e., work properly) are "supported". If a particular practice has not been factored into the regression test which occurs prior to product release, the practice is deemed "unsupported".
Avoid known issues by reviewing considerations below prior to performing an upgrade:
SoftGrid Client/Sequencer upgrade:
1. Perform a test upgrade on a copy of the production SoftGrid environment (server, database, content and client).
2. v22.214.171.124 SoftGrid Client (and prior) cannot be upgraded (to v4.x) or removed via SMS or GPO. The v126.96.36.199 Client can be removed via SchTask - if run under a user account in local administrators.
3. v4.x SoftGrid Clients can be upgraded to v188.8.131.522 via SMS, GPO or SchTasks.exe. SoftGrid Client Installation properties are documented in 4_0_Client_Install_Guide.pdf. See "Installation arameters" on pg 10.
4. Regardless of upgrade method a SoftGrid client upgrade to v184.108.40.2062 will require a system restart.
5. Sample command line client upgrade: “msiexec /qn /i softgrid-wd-setup.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus IS_MINOR_UPGRADE=1 /L*vx c:\220.127.116.112.Upgrade.log”
6. Most properties cannot be changed by an upgrade. For example an upgrade cannot change where the product is installed. (e.g., C:\Program Files\Softricity\)
SoftGrid Virtual Application Server/Database upgrade:
1. Perform a test upgrade on a copy of production SoftGrid environment (server, database, content and client). (Note: With 4.x we are much stricter on the versioning of the SFT files and associated OSD’s, therefore it is essential you perform this test outside your production environment!)
SoftGrid, Microsoft Application Virtualization, AppVirt, Upgrade, Guide