WB: We corrected Robert's download links since his original links didn't seem to be working...
Earlier today Microsoft released the RTM version of the Microsoft FTP Service for IIS 7.0 for Windows Server 2008!Listed below are the links for the download pages for each of the individual installation packages:
- FTP 7 (x86) Installation Package
- FTP 7 (x64) Installation Package
I've added this feature list in some of my past postings, but I’m going to repost that here because it sums up nicely what the new FTP service has to offer:
This new FTP service incorporates many new features that enable web authors to publish content better than before, and offers web administrators more security and deployment options.
- Integration with IIS 7.0: IIS 7.0 has a brand-new administration interface and configuration store, and the new FTP service is tightly integrated with this new design. The old IIS 6 metabase is gone, and a new configuration store that is based on the .NET XML-based *.config format has taken its place. In addition, IIS 7.0 has a new administration tool, and the new FTP service plugs seamlessly into that paradigm.
- Support for new Internet standards: One of the most significant features in the new FTP service is support for FTP over SSL. The new FTP service also supports other Internet improvements such as UTF8 and IPv6.
- Shared hosting improvements: By fully integrating into IIS 7.0, the new FTP service makes it possible to host FTP and Web content from the same site by simply adding an FTP binding to an existing Web site. In addition, the FTP service now has virtual host name support, making it possible to host multiple FTP sites on the same IP address. The new FTP service also has improved user isolation, now making it possible to isolate users through per-user virtual directories.
- Improved logging support: FTP logging has been enhanced to include all FTP-related traffic, unique tracking for FTP sessions, FTP sub-statuses, additional detail fields in FTP logs, and much more.
- New supportability features: IIS 7.0 has a new option to display detailed error messages for local users, and the FTP service supports this by providing detailed error responses when logging on locally to an FTP service. The FTP service also logs detailed information using Event Tracing for Windows (ETW), which provides additional detailed information for troubleshooting.
The following prerequisites are required to install the new FTP service:
- You must be using Windows Server 2008.
- Internet Information Services 7.0 must be installed.
- If you are going to manage the new FTP service using the IIS 7.0 user interface, the administration tool will need to be installed.
- You must install the new FTP service as an administrator.
- IIS 7.0 supports a new shared configuration environment, which must be disabled on each server in a web farm before installing the new FTP service for each node. Note: Shared configuration can be re-enabled after the FTP service had been installed.
- The FTP service that is shipped on the Windows Server 2008 DVD must be uninstalled before installing the new FTP service.
To help you get started using the new FTP service, the following walkthroughs have been published on the http://learn.iis.net/ web site:
Microsoft, FTP7, Windows Server 2008, WS2008, Win2K8, RTM, FTP, IIS