Windows Live Messenger 8.5 wasn't that big a change compared to version 8.0. But judging from what I've just found, Windows Live Messenger 9.0 clearly will be a far more exciting release. Not long after the first news about the private beta-round for 9.0, Windows Live Butterfly RebelSean has spilled the beans and published the complete list of new features present in the latest build:
- New features:
- Sign-in and messaging in multiple locations up to four at once.
- Signature sounds.
- Per contact sounds.
- SPAM Reporting.
- Animated Display Pictures - supports animated .gif files as display pictures.
- Link in Personal Status Message - URLs in Personal Status Messages are hot and clickable in the Messenger contact list.
- Behind the Scenes Changes - Architectural changes that modified how things work but shouldn't have changed how things look.
- Changes to sign-in, connectivity, presence, sending text IM's, voice & video features.
- Windows Live Contacts Server - wlcomm.exe runs in the background to keep your contacts' information up-to-date and helps Messenger sign you in faster.
Two of these features were taken from the well-known wishlist. The multiple points of presence feature is particularly interesting for those who use Messenger on their home and office PCs as well as mobile device(s). And spam reporting will hopefully replace the current inefficient URL filter. More on these features and extra ones as soon as we find out!Windows Live, Messenger, WLM, Beta, Features