Vik Singh, who helped Google in building Co-op platform, developed an amazing tool that lets you create your own “Google Custom Search Engine” with no knowledge to use any of the advanced options, or understanding XML. You can populate it with your del.icio.us bookmarks, create a CSE based on your entire account, a particular tag, getting a search engine complete with refinements based on popular tags in the set.
- Can build a full search engine (like the machine learning one above) in two steps, without having to edit any XML, and in less than two minutes
- Auto-generates the CSE annotations XML from your del.icio.us bookmarks and tags
- Provides an option to auto-generate CSE annotations just for del.icio.us bookmarks that have a particular tag
- Provides an option to Auto-calculate each annotation’s boost score (log normalizes over the max # of Others per bookmark)
- Provides an option to Auto-expand links (appends a wildcard * to any links that point to a directory)
- Auto-generates the CSE context XML
- Auto-generates facet titles
- Since there’s a four facet by five labels restriction (that’s the max that one can fit in the refinements display on the search results page), I provide two options for automatic facet/refinement generation:
- The first uses a machine learning algorithm to find the four most frequent disjoint 5-item-sets (based on the # of del.icio.us tag co-occurrences; it then does query-expansion over the tag sets to determine good facet titles)
- The other option returns the user’s most popular del.ico.us bundles and corresponding tags
- Any refinements that do not make it in the top 4 facets are dumped in a fifth facet in order of popularity. If you don’t understand this then don’t worry, you don’t need to! The point is all of this is automated for you (just use the default Cluster option). If you want control over which refinements/facets get displayed, then just choose Bundle.
- Provides help documentation links at key steps
- And best of all … You don’t need to understand the advanced options of Google CSE/Co-op to build an advanced CSE! This seriously does all the hard, tedious work for you!
Check out an example search engine on Machine Learning.